More jazz book studies (now with video)

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The second solo study for major scales in the Jody Fisher book. I made a drum track with GarageBand for practicing the solo. Then, I added the bass track with a different feeling and it did I recorded the other tracks.

After I finished the audio track, I recorded new video tracks with the three instruments and I had to adjust each video over the audio track. I used iMovie. Are there better ways?

Etude #5

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:20 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Alright, Nuno! Sounds great and looks like you were having a blast. 8)
That's first phrase is really close to some other song and I can't place it. It's driving me nuts! Santana maybe?...
:)

Don

Posted : 04/08/2010 3:37 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yes! Carlos Santana: Oye cómo va! :D

It sounded very familiar to me as well. It is very, very similar. There are just a couple of different notes and Santana plays it one tone higher.

Thanks for the comments!

Posted : 04/08/2010 4:13 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

I clicked on your video and the first lick reminded me of something else entirely, now don't laugh but It reminded me somewhat of the bass :roll: intro to Creams Badge. I've now had to put Badge on to compare and offcourse it sounds nothing like it but thats what I thought on first listen.

Cool playing very chilled.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 04/08/2010 8:22 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yes, you are right! It also has almost the same notes as well!

The rhythm is slightly different and I think Badge is played in A (this one is in F major), but the notes sequence is very similar: it starts with the same three notes and the last and long note is also the same (in the corresponding scales).

Thank you! :D

Posted : 04/08/2010 9:19 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It is curious... Today I was watching this video in my mobile phone with a friend (it is a Sony Ericsson and it has a kind of YouTube plugin to watch the videos).

We selected the option related videos (I have checked it with the computer right now) and do you know the videos that are in the list? Badge and Oye cómo va... They are the original videos played by Clapton in the first Crossroads and Santana.

There are other original videos but I don't know the songs Runaway Train by Soul Asylum and Spring can really hang you up the most by Rickie Lee Jones. They don't sound like my video (I think).

The other videos are people playing some instruments like mine. Probably the YouTube software used the labels.

Good software... although Google is starting to scare to me...

Posted : 09/08/2010 12:37 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Very nice.

I like your tone on this one - what are you running through?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 09/08/2010 1:28 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I appreciate your comments.

The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul, all originals. I use the neck pick up with the tone around the middle.

I use a Korg Pandora PX4D. It is more or less a standard patch. I modified some parameters, I removed the reverb and also changed the eq according to the guitar (trebble 9/10, mids 10/10, bass 5/10). The patch uses a bass amp emulation and a compressor effect.

From the Pandora to an Audio Kontrol 1 for digitalizing and from there to a Mac via USB. In the Mac I use GarageBand where I add the reverb (around 50%) and also a little bit of delay.

Posted : 09/08/2010 2:01 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Very cool man, very relaxing, and you look like your having some fun with it!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 09/08/2010 3:29 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Sir!

Slowly. The important is to have fun in the path!

Posted : 09/08/2010 4:24 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

ery nicely done, and nice sound tone to boot. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 09/08/2010 7:51 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

It is curious... Today I was watching this video in my mobile phone with a friend (it is a Sony Ericsson and it has a kind of YouTube plugin to watch the videos).

We selected the option related videos (I have checked it with the computer right now) and do you know the videos that are in the list? Badge and Oye cómo va... They are the original videos played by Clapton in the first Crossroads and Santana.

There are other original videos but I don't know the songs Runaway Train by Soul Asylum and Spring can really hang you up the most by Rickie Lee Jones. They don't sound like my video (I think).

The other videos are people playing some instruments like mine. Probably the YouTube software used the labels.

Good software... although Google is starting to scare to me...

I wonder if it uses trends to predict what videos to put next to other videos. Maybe its tracked what videos were watched after yours. Maybe the reason that Soul Asylum is there that someone listened to Roys soul asylum cover just after watching your video then checked out the original on you tube. :?:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 09/08/2010 8:04 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Roy!

And on YouTube. I know the software that use Google (PageRank) and I guess they are applying here similar thing. Google analyzes our emails in Gmail for showing the ads that can be interested for us. They claim they only want our info, they aren't interested in the people...

I had heard they are analyzing also the audio. In fact some videos have a link to iTunes if the song is available there. I guess they do it automatically.

When I uploaded the video all the related videos were about 'etudes' (piano, violin, etc.) and also smooth jazz (it is a tag in my video). Now, somebody or something catalogued it in a different zone.

Posted : 09/08/2010 8:54 pm
 jcp
(@jcp)
Trusted Member

Yes, I can feel Santana here too, good work, Nuno. Answering your question at the end of your inicial Post ("I used iMovie. Are there better ways?") I prefer Adobe Premiere Pro, I don't know if this software runs in a Mac, but iMovie is very limited. Nice work there! :D

http://www.facebook.com/juancarlosportillog

Posted : 02/09/2010 3:11 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Juan Carlos! :D

And thanks also for the software info. It seems Adobe has a trial version for Mac. I will check it. iMovie is good for very simple projects but when you have to mix several videos with audio...

Posted : 02/09/2010 7:22 pm