Clear all

Mostly Harmless

32 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've always wanted to say 'the gates are open' in a song and I grabbed my chance here. It's a long shot, but a man's gotta take some risks. ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=4878351

[Lyrics]
Vraag aan de maan
Of hij het al eindelijk zeggen kan
Van die dag
In de zon
Hoe jij daar stond te stralen
En wij uitsluitend verdwalen
The Gates Are Open

[Shockingly bad translation which sounds like crap in English]
Ask the moon
If he can financially say it
Of that day
In the sun
Where you shone so bright
and we were merely getting lost.
The Gates Are Open

Posted : 13/01/2007 7:31 am
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

:evil:

I dont post much. I dont see myself as a guitarist, but can hold my own against most intermediate players. I assume long standing, high out-put contributors are well talented and practised.

Maybe I'm just stupid?

(And evil?).

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

Posted : 13/01/2007 8:51 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hi Gino. I have difficulty reading your statement as anything but an insult, am I missing something?

Posted : 13/01/2007 8:56 am
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm a bad tempered git.
I was just feeling a bit like s**t, and looked for unanswered topics.
You were on top of the list.

I'm going to take my medication now.
:?

Posted : 13/01/2007 8:59 am
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Actually, now I've taken my pills, I'm going to go and adjust my profile.
That way, folks will know what a git I am.

Posted : 13/01/2007 9:06 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Don't worry man, you only badly hurted my feelings. Maybe even left a permanent scar in my soul. But I prefer honest opinions and I gladly take your more stylish presentation of your dislikes over the the usual 'LOL u sux0rz th4 m4x0rz!!11!' responses I get on other forums.

Posted : 13/01/2007 9:30 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

you gotta to do this stuff arjen its you :shock: and if you did,nt who would :?: one day its gentle as a lamb the next :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .but hey i can hack it!! now wheres my pills :roll: .smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 13/01/2007 3:09 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I dont post much. I dont see myself as a guitarist, but can hold my own against most intermediate players. I assume long standing, high out-put contributors are well talented and practised.

Maybe I'm just stupid?

(And evil?).

Most of what Sleutelbos records isn't anywhere near the genres I customarily perform in or record in. Sometimes I listen to his music and go WOW! THAT'S SO COOL!. Other pieces provoke a baffled "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

I ALWAYS find him interesting to listen to though, which puts him a cut above most current "popular" artists on commercial radio in my opinion. He takes me out of my "comfort zone", and challenges me to understand his vision, and in the process gives me new perspectives on my own musical vision. To me that's a very GOOD thing.

How about posting of your own music and see if you can measure up to that standard my friend?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 13/01/2007 6:00 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Maybe I'm just stupid?

(And evil?).

Most of what Sleutelbos records isn't anywhere near the genres I customarily perform in or record in. Sometimes I listen to his music and go WOW! THAT'S SO COOL!. Other pieces provoke a baffled "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

I ALWAYS find him interesting to listen to though, which puts him a cut above most current "popular" artists on commercial radio in my opinion. He takes me out of my "comfort zone", and challenges me to understand his vision, and in the process gives me new perspectives on my own musical vision. To me that's a very GOOD thing.

How about posting of your own music and see if you can measure up to that standard my friend?

HERE HERE MoonRider.....

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 13/01/2007 7:28 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Well, I can honestly say I loved this one. I love the drums. Even tho it sounds so drum machiney (is that a word?). The beginning was beautiful. I was kind of hoping you would continue on with that but once I heard the change well, I suppose there was no escaping it.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 13/01/2007 7:58 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The thing about Arjen is, he loves to experiment - why settle for same-old same-old when you can create something radically different? A lot of what he does is either over or my head or not my taste - but the man gets kudos for trying something new, for musicianship, for talent, and for sheer hard work and determination.

So to Arjen I'd say that's a potentially world-class combination - creativity and determination - and while I might not like everything you put out, I'll give you an honest, no BS critique of the musicianship....

Haven't listened to this yet, let you know what I think later.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/01/2007 7:58 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Not really my thing Arjen, but I liked it a lot and thought it was flat out great playing. Plus, I listened to it right after the Pistol's Pretty Vacant; Steve Jones is not an act many people would want to follow!
Unlike hueseph who said, 'I love the drums', that low end percussion thing (supposed to be a bass drum?) going 700+ bpm drove me up the wall. For me, something playing that fast needs to be voiced where you can believe two hands are playing it (tom, snare).
But as Vic says for,"...creativity and determination..." man, you have that in spades. 8)

Don

Posted : 13/01/2007 8:22 pm
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

What I like most about Arjen's music is the great variety he puts into it. You never know what to expect, except that it will always be genuinely creative and interesting at the least - and often is far more than that. Respect!

Posted : 13/01/2007 8:51 pm
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

"How about posting of your own music and see if you can measure up to that standard my friend?" Said Moonrider....
:lol:

Remember I said:
" I dont see myself as a guitarist, but can hold my own against most intermediate players". Yes?

Well, I have no recordings. Why would I? My talent isnt worth it.
THAT my friend, is the point.

:lol:

Posted : 13/01/2007 9:07 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, I finally got round to listening - babysitting for the grandson, he's finally gone to bed - and I like it....with reservations. Nice start, nice guitar....wasn't expecting it to go in that direction! Great riff....the only thing that's missing is another guitar soloing over it, it sounds pretty cool, but kind of slightly unfinished, to my ears....

Out of interest, Arjen, how long does it take you to put a piece like this together? I'd love to know how you go about the actual recording process....where do you start? Drums? what equipment are you using, what FX are you using, that kind of thing?

Rating out of 10....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/01/2007 9:10 pm
Page 1 / 3