Clear all

My first video - Sundown

41 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I posted it in another thread, so I'm sorry for the duplication. Nuno was kind enough to suggest I post it here for more comments.

I have to apologize for the number of times I put myself down in the video. I have a really bad habit of doing that. Being that it's on Youtube, I was making a pre-emptive strike: you (meaning those mean people in the world) can't hurt me if I do it first. :roll:

I got a Labtech 524 desktop mic, plugged into my Creative Soundblaster, along with a Logitech webcam. Not the best equipment, but... well, it made a video! :D

I have the iTunes recording playing in the background because I cannot yet play and sing by myself. And I needed the lead guitar. I think I sound flat mostly because I was shy and nervous about doing the singing. I didn't give it my all. If I was just wailing on the guitar playing rhythm, I wouldn't be so hard on myself. I think my playing is pretty OK, just the singing.

So... here goes... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3N2HKFkb5o

Oh yes, someone elsewhere suggested that the key the song is being played in is not right for my voice. Not sure what that means other than having to change the key I play it in. The funny thing is that I can sing and follow GL just fine when it's just the recording playing.

Some other comments, which I take to be constructive criticism is the guitar out of tune (just tuned it with my little Korg); replace the strings; and that it was over all poor. Well I know that!

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 19/04/2009 9:14 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Im not sure if this applies to you but I know that my electric guitar goes out of tune if I slap a capo on, so I tune up once the capo is on even if it is intune without the capo.

I'm not really in any position to give you advise on the playing or singing but well done for posting. From my own experience I know once the record button is pressed everything seems to become that bit more difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 19/04/2009 9:54 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Im not sure if this applies to you but I know that my electric guitar goes out of tune if I slap a capo on, so I tune up once the capo is on even if it is intune without the capo.

Wow, that's a kicker!
I'm not really in any position to give you advise on the playing or singing but well done for posting. From my own experience I know once the record button is pressed everything seems to become that bit more difficult.

Ain't that the truth!

And thanks. :D

Posted : 19/04/2009 10:16 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yep, the nerves kick in when the recording button's pressed - and more so when the camera's recording as well!

Nothing "sucky" there, Minotaur - and nothing to be ashamed of, either. For a first effort it's pretty decent. That doesn't mean you won't look back and cringe in about a year's time when you're a better guitarist, but do remember WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITICS!

You've done the hardest part - screwing up enough guts to play in front of the camera. Next time, you'll be a bit more relaxed - and it'll probably show.

One suggestion I do have for you - try playing along with music through headphones. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes - it seems to me I put more into my playing and singing when I'm concentrating on music with headphones on.

Looking forward to the next time!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:02 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yep, the nerves kick in when the recording button's pressed - and more so when the camera's recording as well!

Nothing "sucky" there, Minotaur - and nothing to be ashamed of, either. For a first effort it's pretty decent. That doesn't mean you won't look back and cringe in about a year's time when you're a better guitarist, but do remember WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITICS!

You've done the hardest part - screwing up enough guts to play in front of the camera. Next time, you'll be a bit more relaxed - and it'll probably show.

One suggestion I do have for you - try playing along with music through headphones. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes - it seems to me I put more into my playing and singing when I'm concentrating on music with headphones on.

Looking forward to the next time!

:D :D :D

Vic

Thanks Vic. :D

I have every intention of keeping the videos and recordings I make as a sort of progress journal. I'll just knock back a few when I look at them. :lol:

And you know what's scary? I thought the very same thing about using the headphones. In fact I think I kept one recording (no video) doing that. What discouraged me from going through with it was the fact that I had no way to get a solo in there, and even 30 seconds of plain strumming can seem like an eternity. But I'm going to practice singing and playing separately with headphones to see how close I come. I'm not looking to mimic GL or anyone else, but it's a learning experience.

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:20 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Good for you, Frank.
There's more of us on the Beginner's Video thread that have gone through this.
You might want to post future videos there . . . we need new blood.
Anyway, congrats on recording your first video . . . nerve-wracking, isn't it?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:37 pm
(@davidhodge)

Lots of good things going on here, Frank. Your strumming is pretty solid - even when you muff a chord, you keep the beat and keep going. That's a huge plus.

The singing (as you know) is going to need a bit of work, but you can certainly sing and play at the same time. I'm not really sure that you're flat as much as you're following along with some of the harmony lines (which is easy to do in a song with as many vocal layers as this one). I can't help but wonder if you might not be better off (when you're comfortable doing this on your own, of course) playing and singing this in a different key.

Well done, sir! As Ken mentions, you should also post this in the "Beginners' Video" thread as it will be a big encouragement to many of those folks as well.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:38 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Good for you, Frank.
There's more of us on the Beginner's Video thread that have gone through this.
You might want to post future videos there . . . we need new blood.
Anyway, congrats on recording your first video . . . nerve-wracking, isn't it?

KR2

Oh yeah, now that I realized the thread is there, I'm going to watch them. With luck I may just learn from others.

And yes, it is nerve-wracking. But in retrospect, it didn't have to be. I think I should have made a couple of run throughs over a couple of days. As I've watched the video a few times, I see where things could improve. That was pretty much one take, with just a few "false starts".

Posted : 19/04/2009 11:49 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Lots of good things going on here, Frank. Your strumming is pretty solid - even when you muff a chord, you keep the beat and keep going. That's a huge plus.

When I get distracted I flub chord changes. And I think it's pretty safe to say I was distracted by nervousness. Which is silly, because there is a Stop Recording button!
The singing (as you know) is going to need a bit of work, but you can certainly sing and play at the same time. I'm not really sure that you're flat as much as you're following along with some of the harmony lines (which is easy to do in a song with as many vocal layers as this one). I can't help but wonder if you might not be better off (when you're comfortable doing this on your own, of course) playing and singing this in a different key.

I've only once or twice tried singing and playing without the recording. I'm less concerned about doing that now, since no one has asked me to be in a band yet (can you believe it!?), as I am about just learning to play guitar. I guess I'll eventually find the key, for any song, that suits my range. Small steps. These are just some of the reasons I'd like to go back to lessons when I can.
Well done, sir! As Ken mentions, you should also post this in the "Beginners' Video" thread as it will be a big encouragement to many of those folks as well.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

Thanks David. I really appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. Oh btw, I did put it in the Beginner's Videos thread.

Posted : 20/04/2009 12:04 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your first video! 8)

I don't have anything else to ad besides what was already said. Just keep at it! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/04/2009 12:26 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I'm actually pretty encouraged, thanks to you guys. :wink:

Posted : 20/04/2009 12:34 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Summarizing my comments in the other thread: Many congrats!

Good job! 8)

Posted : 20/04/2009 8:44 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Summarizing my comments in the other thread: Many congrats!

Good job! 8)

Thanks again, Nuno!

Posted : 20/04/2009 10:43 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Congrats on the first video posting for you. Things will get better when you sit in front of the camera after awhile, but for whatever reason as soon as you turn ON the camera no matter how well you can play it before it's on, it just never seems to be quite as good. :roll: At least in my experience.

But nice job, look forward to watching more!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 20/04/2009 11:07 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks Joe. You guys have been a real encouragement to me. That's why I love this site and would be lost without it. I know I keep saying that, and I don't want to sound insincere or seem like I'm throwing platitudes, but it's true. :wink:

Posted : 20/04/2009 11:59 am
Page 1 / 3