Clear all

My sweet girl

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Another new tune. This one is particularly short (1:30 or so) and took me particularly long (over two weeks or so). Hope anyone likes it, comments and criticism of any kind more then welcome. Instruments used:

-two accoustic guitars (five string, missing the high E and can't afford a new string ;))
-piano
-vocals (for lack of a better term)
-synths
-electronic/proc'ed drum track

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=4505600

Posted : 02/10/2006 11:03 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Arjen,

Really cool and unusual. Even a little disturbing, and I mean that in a good way. Sounds like it belongs in a soundtrack.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 02/10/2006 12:14 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks :) I hear the 'disturbing' comment a lot about quite a few of my songs. Guess that's kinda the way I'm going with my ' own style'. Let's hope there is a big market for disturbing music. :D

Oh, due to my internet situation am I unable to listen to other tracks here as I have only internet in the university. If anyone would like me to check their song out, PM me and I'll try to get it to my own computer somehow.

Posted : 02/10/2006 12:45 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

everybody just get stoned :shock: for me lay the sound effects back in volumn a bit ....found it interesting listend to it 3 times :wink: guess i like it then!! :D :D thanks s

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 02/10/2006 3:16 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

That begining half is really beautiful. Love it Arjen. You have an extremly unique style, I never feel that I've heard any of your songs before. The second half does have a kind of 'disturbing' feel to it. I can't quite make out what you are saying though, I think we've talked about this before and it was the setup you were using, not much you could do about it right?

Anyways, I like the transistion into the second part of the song, reminds me a little of pink floyd.

Great stuff, nice guitar work.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 02/10/2006 4:51 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Taso wrote: I can't quite make out what you are saying though
I didn't get the impression that it was actual lyrics we were intended to understand, due to Arjen's opening comment, "vocals (for lack of a better term)".
Smokehouse wrote: for me lay the sound effects back in volumn a bit
I agree, maybe just a hair. But not so much as to lose the effect of an eerie and ethereal wind.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 02/10/2006 6:01 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

oh my mistake. I thought that was Arjen being modest. Ha! Arjen being modest, what a silly thought anyways.

;)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 02/10/2006 9:26 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

oh my mistake. I thought that was Arjen being modest. Ha! Arjen being modest, what a silly thought anyways.

;)

ROTFL :lol: :lol:
Thats very cool to say the least. I think you have a future in soundtrack scoring. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/10/2006 11:55 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks people :) Indeed the lyrics aren't truly intended to be comprehensible, I kinda prefer to make it vague enough that people can hear whatever they want to hear. But for those who want the actual lyrics:

"What have you done? Done to me?
What have you done, to me?"

Taso: You can accuse me of almost everything but modesty definitely ain't one of them. :D

Smokehouse: It kinda depends on where the track should go. For a more 'radio-friendly' version I should definitely lay the effects further in the mix.

Posted : 03/10/2006 9:45 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Very nice. Lovin' that tone and recording quality on the acoustic. Really diggin' the mood change too.

My only problem is................. it's too short. I wanted more. Maybe a part 2?

Oh, what does Sleutelbos mean?

Sorry I didn't see this one before. :oops:

Have a good one!

Posted : 15/10/2006 9:13 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very good Arjen! Way too short though. You should really think about making it longer & really explore the mood you've created. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/10/2006 10:44 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

awsome Is that made with a program or played on a keyboard or somethin?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 16/10/2006 10:08 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I love it arjen. The first half is especially superb.

Posted : 17/10/2006 4:25 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, it is kinda short, I know. Recently I have been spending increasingly more time into increasingly shorter songs, dunno way. I could 'extend' it but I don't think it would work well, the song kinda 'tells' what it needs to and anything extra would probably end up soundng forced and fake, atleast when done by me. ;) This is the last track for my 'project' that has changed so much so often during the past 18 months or so but is, praise the powers that be, finally done. It's a combinatin of often-changed versions of some of the tracks I've uploaded here plus some other stuff. I'll upload it all and say a bit more about it comming weekend.

Mike: Thanks! :) Sleutelbos is Dutch for 'keyring'.

Dan: Thanks! :)

Dneck: the 'background texture' of the first half is a morphed drum track I created with Groove Agent, the guitars are obviously guitars, the second melody in the first part is played on a MIDI keybord and send into a software synth and the rest is done using various plugs.

Ivankaramazov: Thanks! :)

Posted : 17/10/2006 12:52 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Love the elements of this, but I agree that a remix could really make it shine -- not to make it more radio friendly, but to make the strangeness a bit more tantalizing: Unusual things seen more briefly and out of the corner of one's eye are usually much more bizarre and mind bending than when seen straight on and for longer periods of time.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 17/10/2006 1:03 pm
Page 1 / 2