My Turn: Song: Crystal Pretty

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter

EDIT: I thought I should add something more descriptive
This is my 2nd attempt at this (recording a 2nd track.) The first one just wouldn't work right for some reason.

Also this is only the second song I've written. Slash and Hash is all fine and fun but I'm trying for different emotions not just Rip/Tear (as in motorcycling, snowboarding or skating or surfing) kind of stuff.

Anyhoo.. the song.

"Crystal Pretty" (couldn't think of another name)

Gear:
My Goldie '51 Neck PU
GT8 - Jumbo Acoustic Patch
Audacity

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=425050

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 27/01/2007 3:33 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I think that might be a link to your band admin page... :wink:

Don

Posted : 27/01/2007 3:39 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Fix'd :roll: :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 27/01/2007 3:45 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

right on the spot....brill 8) ..smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 28/01/2007 8:45 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OH man, I really like the chords progression on this one....

Very sweeeeeet. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 28/01/2007 6:17 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Very nice, and aptly named.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 28/01/2007 8:27 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I just listened to this. Very nice. I agree with Bish. Great chord progression.

Posted : 03/02/2007 4:16 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I really like this. Very emotional. Great job! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/02/2007 6:17 am
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks y'all.

When I 'found' this chord progression I just fell in love with it. I was amazed too... another learning... that I can take the same three chords and change up the rythem (sp) and get something a little different from it, feel, coloring...etc.

For me this is an exercise in, and correct me if I'm wrong, appregio-ing the notes in this particular progression.....??? I think thats right....OMG is that Music Theory??? hehehehehehe. Yeah I'm still learning. That's one thing I'm starting to really enjoy about guitar, is connecting all the dots and 'thinking' about what I'm doing instead of just 'noodling' around.

I'm going to work on this a little more this weekend and clean up some of the flubbed notes.

Thanks again for your 'kindness'.

Dags

Posted : 03/02/2007 12:25 pm
(@tucker97325)
Trusted Member

Thanks y'all.

When I 'found' this chord progression I just fell in love with it. I was amazed too... another learning... that I can take the same three chords and change up the rythem (sp) and get something a little different from it, feel, coloring...etc.

For me this is an exercise in, and correct me if I'm wrong, appregio-ing the notes in this particular progression.....??? I think thats right....OMG is that Music Theory??? hehehehehehe. Yeah I'm still learning. That's one thing I'm starting to really enjoy about guitar, is connecting all the dots and 'thinking' about what I'm doing instead of just 'noodling' around.

I'm going to work on this a little more this weekend and clean up some of the flubbed notes.

Thanks again for your 'kindness'.

Dags
Nice going Dag! It does have a soothing feel to it. I like it.

And yes, you are wrong, "arpeggio-ing"???? Okay, this brings out the "Adriane Monk" side of me. No offense intended. LOL

I think the correct terminology would be "to arpeggiate", "arpeggiated", or "arpeggiating" rather than arpeggio-ing. Although I can't seem to find any reference to the use of these words either. I like your word too, I just have a thing about hyphens. :D

In any case, I suppose it would be theory, if you were using arpeggios. The term ARPEGGIO refers to a chord where the notes are played or sung in succession rather than simultaneously. The word comes from the Italian for "in the manner of the harp." Then again, maybe I just missed your arpeggio-ing?

By the way, are the chords in your progression A,G,F all played with the the high E string open? I'd like to give this one a shot myself, if you don't mind.

Consider the source on this post. Remember me? I'm the guy who has to sort M&Ms by color before I can eat them. :lol:

It ain't what you play man, its how you play it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401901

Posted : 03/02/2007 8:28 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Ken,

Yes, Open HIGH E String.

APPREGIO, EXPRESSO... I know its Italian.. I couldn't find the correct term either so I invented one.

The Chords:
I am embarrassed to say though. I don't know what chords they are... I just did the shape and moved around holding the shape and I liked what I heard.

Please feel free to take it, play with it, noodle on it, embellish on it, just remember its MINE, MINE MINE....lol.

The fingering goes like this:

E|----0---0----0----
B|----5---3----1----
G|----6---4----2----
D|----7---5----3----
A|----0---0----0----
E|-------------------

Although I don't always hit the open A string. I like to 'COME IN" with the open A when I start over with that First Chord again. I always try and keep that High E Ringing though. To me it adds a little sparkle to it.

Good to see you and the 'kids' at Minto today.

Posted : 03/02/2007 9:24 pm
(@tucker97325)
Trusted Member

E|----0=E------ 0=E---- 0=E----
B|----5=E----- 3=D----- 1=C----
G|----6=C#--- - 4=B----- 2=A----
D|----7=A----- 5=G---- 3=F----
A|----0=A----- 0=A----- 0=A----
E| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Okay, so your first chord is A Major, with a slight inversion. The first, third and fifth of A are A, C#, E.

To explain the inversion... I say inverted because you are using the open A as the root, but this would normally (playing an A chord in this position) be the fifth(E), and the open high E repeats the fifth, but would normally repeat the root by fretting it at the 5th fret.

The second chord is G6 The first, third and fifth of G are G, B, D. The E being a Major 6th interval above the root (G) makes it a G6.

The last one is F Major 7 The first, third and fifth of F are F, A, C. The E being a Major 7th interval above the root (F) makes it an F Major 7th.

Just for kicks, try making the first chord an A Major 7 by playing the high E string at the 4th fret, making it a G# (a Major 7th above the root.) You might like it even better.

Now that my friend, is just a little music theory. :lol: Or at least as far as either of us knows. :lol:

In any case, you said you wanted to know what it is you're doing, so there it is. Hope this helps you out some in your quest for knowledge.

EDIT: I enjoy sharing information, but I like to learn as well. Maybe someone can explain why the G6 isn't called G Major 6th????? I mean there is also a G minor 6th, just like there are Major and minor 7ths. Just curious is all.

It ain't what you play man, its how you play it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401901

Posted : 03/02/2007 11:37 pm