Clear all

Newbie Instrumental

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

OK, I've only got guitars, an audio interface, reaper, and EZDrummer. This is the first thing I've ever written/recorded. Go easy on me, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could give a quick listen and let me know what they think. Untitled so far...

Thanks...

http://www.jeff-evans.net/music/song.mp3

Posted : 08/07/2008 3:59 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow Jeff, that's sounds pretty good! It's a first run for you?? I wish I could sound like that on my 100th run!

Sounds kind of like a Metallica ballad from the early 90's in my opinion, like the intro to One (in style anyway). You should post some more, it sounds great!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 08/07/2008 4:09 am
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Wow thanks for the kind words. Only a few friends had heard it, and you can never really trust friends to tell you if it's crap. I wouldn't say it's a first run recording, but it's definitely the first recorded song that I wrote myself. I recorded some other stuff, cover licks and stuff to try to get my recording chops, but it's my first song anyway.

Yeah, metallica was a pretty huge musical influence for me, all the way up to the black album, so you can definitely hear some of that in there. Also the guitar harmony in the heavier section is straight up 90's metallica, good ear.

Posted : 08/07/2008 4:12 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice job multi tracking. you were able to have all the guitars going without getting mush.
your playing is good. did you have the effects going into the recording or did you add them after?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 08/07/2008 10:57 am
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

The effects were on during recording. I use a roland cube 30x for all of the effects on that track (reverb, chorus, delay, distortion). The biggest difference I found was when I got this M-audio audio interface. I found one for about $200 bucks and it really cleaned up the sound.

Posted : 08/07/2008 11:27 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

How would I go about learning how to play that?
What should I be practicing? Scales?
Do you have tabs for that?
In other words, I want to be able to play that, especially the arpeggio.
In fact, if you would tab the arpeggio (with the pulloffs?) for the first 4 or 5 measures (where the drums come in), I'll get started practicing. I promise.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/07/2008 12:26 pm
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey, I haven't tabbed it at this point, but I can tab it when I get home from work for you. You mean the arpeggio during the clean part at the beginning where the drums start right?

Posted : 08/07/2008 12:36 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That's it. Where the drums start.
Thanks!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/07/2008 1:02 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Jeff, pretty nice playing! I like the way in which you add different guitar tones, it adds different textures. I really like it!

The first part is not 'so clean' to me. I mean, I don't know if it is the reverb/delay/chorus that you use or the way in which you made the mix but it sounds as 'compressed' because when the guitar over drums start, the feeling also changes, it is a 'wider' sound.

It is possible my speakers or my ears fail! :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 08/07/2008 2:33 pm
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

No you're right. What's interesting is the beginning I recorded with an Eastwood with dual humbuckers. Most of the heavier stuff is played with my ibanez with active EMG's. I am re-tracking the clean parts with my fender which I recently purchased which has a much brighter clean tone. I will definitely repost once I've retracked with the Fender. I believe it will sound much cleaner. Thanks for the listen and kind words, and you're on the same page I am.

Posted : 08/07/2008 2:38 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Ok! I'm sure it will be much more cleaner but, Jeff, it just was a minor appreciation, probably you prefer the way in which you did it. There are songs with much more 'compressed' sound in the intros, for example, Wish you were here.

Thanks.

PS. I'm using 'compressed' because the sound seems 'compressed' but I don't know if it is the correct term.

Posted : 08/07/2008 3:22 pm
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah I know what you mean about the sound. I will repost once I get the Fender in there because I think it will sound better.

Posted : 08/07/2008 4:19 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Jeff...

Very Very nice dude.

What ever your doing....DON'T STOP!!!

KUDOS to you. <SALUTE> :mrgreen:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 08/07/2008 4:46 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice recording Jeff. 8) I can definately hear the Metallica influence, (who said poison!? :evil: ). Thanks for sharing & I hope to hear more from you. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/07/2008 1:41 am
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys. My PC has finally died so I've lost my recording device! Hopefully I'll get it up and running soon :)

Posted : 09/07/2008 5:04 pm
Page 1 / 2