17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@morkalg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here is a song I have been working on lately:

http://ragngautr-kindred.org/audio/rob/in-progress/Shark.mp3

And this one I finished yesterday, nothing spectacular at all on the guitar, just a simple chord progression, but I'd like opinions anyways.

http://ragngautr-kindred.org/audio/rob/Mus n't-be.mp3

Thanks for the listen!

Rob

Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.

-Havamal-

Posted : 10/04/2006 6:27 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

sounds good I like it, did you record that in a studio?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 10/04/2006 8:00 pm
(@morkalg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Sure if the call the unused kitchen upstairs that I sort of soundproofed and the adjoining closet I gutted to turn into a vocal booth a studio!

I recorded it all one track at a time on my computer at home in my home studio.

Here are some pics.

?v=0

?v=0

Glad you liked the songs,

Rob

-Havamal-

Posted : 10/04/2006 8:08 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

well you can really tell it wasnt just a mic in a room haha. Let me know what you think of what I just did, those arent like hardworking multitrack maspterpieces, they were me this morning cause I really wanted to try out my new equipment but theyre kinda cool.

edit: Hey and I just listened to both those songs again, They really sound great man I like the singing.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 10/04/2006 10:29 pm
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

Morkalq...could you send the link again for musn`t be,,couldn`t get it to open..thx
shark is cool...I,m sorry it ended so soon.....is there more to come? if so let me know I`d get off listening to it...What tuning is that? .....I am envious of the vocal tracs....a really "free sounding" voice...cooker

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

Posted : 12/04/2006 1:51 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

seriously man you rock haha post more songs!

-Chris Thile

Posted : 12/04/2006 5:56 am
(@morkalg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Morkalq...could you send the link again for musn`t be,,couldn`t get it to open..thx
shark is cool...I,m sorry it ended so soon.....is there more to come? if so let me know I`d get off listening to it...What tuning is that? .....I am envious of the vocal tracs....a really "free sounding" voice...cooker

Here, try this link

http://tinyurl.com/zkeua The original one broke becuase it didn't like the ' in musn't

Yeah there is more to come to that song...I just have to finish writing it. I think I probably write and record songs in the most bass ackward and inefficient manner! I start with riffs then build up and before I know it I have something really cool, but it's short. I just need to sit down and write write write.

Thanks for the compliments!

Rob

-Havamal-

Posted : 12/04/2006 1:29 pm
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

morkalg...you know you have it in you!...

my kids thought it was cool also...they are very discriminating when it comes to music....

waiting for the download on musn`t be...ahhh here it is....wow...
you know what I like the most about the writing,,,very soulful,with out the sappy mush..again envious..must be the music!..solid progressions and a great flow to boot..good combination...

opinion: on musn`t be..little keyboard to accent... and some contrasting well placed bass lines here and there and perhaps singing the 1st verse again as the third with a same length solo in between to lenghten it ...or if no keys how about this........(after 1st verse you play an instrumental I think around bar 17 (not including intro)..play that cool opening riff as you do for a couple measures and then when you come back to the minor..sing verse two..then break with your full solo and then repeat verse 1 or combo of 1 and 3 as verse three.....a lot of older bands have done that in the past..using 1st verse with just a few words changed for the third or later verses...is that a cat gut solo? very nicley done,,thanx for the music!
ps..while I was trying to open that second link yesterday I googled the link......came up with some reviews you posted on old english history...sounded like interesting reading.... take care and please post the finished work on shark..I would love to hear it....cooker

Posted : 12/04/2006 3:34 pm
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

M...as for shark...hey I start with riffs too...sets the melody..kinda...
somebody once said..(I think it was in here)...if you can write one verse you can write more...just make your 1st verse number two and write another 1st verse,,haha...
my trouble is I only write chorus`s......cooker

Posted : 12/04/2006 3:40 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Cool. Nice work. Sounds great. The vocals don't quite sit in the mix to my ears but those things all come down to opinion. Just noticed you're using a variax. how do you like it? I've heard some complaints about the playability. My bro's got one but he doesn't seem to mind.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 13/04/2006 5:00 am
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I think you've got some real talent there, very nice.

Posted : 14/04/2006 6:55 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nice tune :D Always a pleasure to listen to your stuff. BTW I noticed that your a fellow Hoosier 8) I'm from Valparaiso my self ( I left in 1983)--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 14/04/2006 7:54 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great job, Rob.

Nice and clean!

Keep at it!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/04/2006 4:54 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

From your description, I wasn't expecting that. That freaking rocks!!!!!!!

I like the progressions - maybe vary some of the rhythm at the beginning.

you got some pipes, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 19/04/2006 1:45 am
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Great stuff man! I think "Shark That's Grinning" has a ton of potential. There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just short.

"Musn't Be" is really great too. I really like acoustic stuff.

And yeah, great pipes.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 20/04/2006 2:14 pm
Page 1 / 2