Clear all

Petrichor

26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Nice Arjen.. I especially liked the little haunting minors thrown in. Beautiful. I could listen to stuff like that all day.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/12/2006 5:44 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jim. :D On the risk of boring everyone, the chord progression is:

Cm-Fm-Cm-Fm
Dm-E-Dm-E
Dm-G9-Cm-Cm

In the first four chords it's all about the tension between the G in the Cm and the Ab in the Fm.
In the next four chords it's all about the A in the Dm and the G# in the E-major chord.

I have no idea if there is a word for it but it's something that seems to work very well, it makes the song sounds a tad 'unbalanced' and 'vulnerable'. I used more or less the same technique in Voor J.S.. Maybe someone finds this info usefull.

Posted : 30/12/2006 6:15 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Cool

Ok taking a chance of weirding people out..

I am a very visual person and when I hear music, I tend to picture something in my mind. It can be like a video or like something more abstract. This especially happens when I am spacing out while listening.

I say all that to describe the feeling/image I had when listening to yours. It was like looking at a beautiful picture that was slowly cracking, or maybe an ideal woman and noticing the sadness in her eyes.

I know.. thats weird but I have always been that way with music. Now that I have this new computer I need to go back and see if I can listen to your album. Remember I wasnt able to listen to it when you first posted the link.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/12/2006 11:17 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Am I correct saying your progression was:

I - IV - I - IV
II - III - II - III
II - V9 - I - I

???

I've been trying to teach myself the piano through theory. I have a piano-type piece I'm working on now in Bbminor (more orchestra like). It's pretty standard. But anyway, I've been trying to learn other methods/variations that work together. Don't know if the second four chords are the way I have written (^) or more like I9 - IVbb - I9 - IVbb. I am still new to theory so please excuse my ignorance if I am way off. :oops:

Posted : 31/12/2006 3:37 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Geoo: that won't weird me out at all, I kinda have the same. But instead of 'seeing' actual images I see things more abstractly, more like patters and colors then any actually possible images. Feel more then welcome to check out my last album: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28604 , hope you like it.

Mike: You're not making it very easy on yourself by using Bbm, it's about the toughest key to work in. Anyway, minor chords are written using a 'small roman letter' whereas major chords are capitalised, anal as that could be. So (I think!) you were almost correct:

i-iv-i-iv
ii-III-ii-III
ii-V9-i-i

Let me know if I can help you out with your project or if you want me to give some feedback during the creation of it. :D

Posted : 31/12/2006 3:48 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You're not making it very easy on yourself by using Bbm, it's about the toughest key to work in.

:shock: For some reason, it's the key I've felt the most comfortable with so far! :lol:

Anyway, minor chords are written using a 'small roman letter' whereas major chords are capitalised, anal as that could be.
You learn something new everyday. :D

So (I think!) you were almost correct:

i-iv-i-iv
ii-III-ii-III
ii-V9-i-i

8)
Let me know if I can help you out with your project or if you want me to give some feedback during the creation of it. :D

So far, I have it set up with Piano, Flute, 1st and 2nd position violins, Cellos, Legato Violas and other things. It's a work in progress but, I do like the direction it's heading in. I might send you a quick clip just to hear what you think. 8)

Posted : 01/01/2007 2:03 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool

I am a very visual person and when I hear music, I tend to picture something in my mind. Jim

Jim, you're not alone. It's called synesthesia and everyone has it to some degree. 8)
I hadn't read anything about it since college and then presto, a feature article (and then your post) this morning:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061230.wxsenses30/BNStory/Science/home

Don

Posted : 01/01/2007 2:32 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

very nice - haunting melody.......

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 01/01/2007 2:56 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Feel more then welcome to check out my last album: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28604 , hope you like it.

Arjen.. How do I play .rar files? I downloaded it.. But I am not sure what to do with it.

Looking forward to it.
Jim

Posted : 01/01/2007 8:42 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

RAR is an archived file much like ZIP. Use WinRar to open it:
http://www.rarsoft.com/rar/wrar361.exe

WinRar can also handle most other archives so you have no need for winzip if you use winrar.

Posted : 01/01/2007 9:00 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Cool

I am a very visual person and when I hear music, I tend to picture something in my mind. Jim
...It's called synesthesia...
Just barely :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 01/01/2007 11:37 pm
Page 2 / 2