Clear all

Puff the Magic Dragon - feedback

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey, I just finished recording this. Let me know what you think!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9178899

Posted : 23/05/2010 2:33 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is not easy to sing and play guitar simultaneously!

Posted : 23/05/2010 12:25 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

But you can do it. I know the song, and that it requires the capo as you're doing.

But maybe you are supposed to sing one octave higher, or since we are all different, lose the capo, and raise YOUR pitch.

Beautiful song. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 23/05/2010 3:08 pm
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

But you can do it. I know the song, and that it requires the capo as you're doing.

But maybe you are supposed to sing one octave higher, or since we are all different, lose the capo, and raise YOUR pitch.

Beautiful song. 8)

Thanks, I actually put the song in B and sang an octave lower, as you guessed. I have a fairly deep voice, so I was struggling to hit the high notes in the proper octave even when I lowered the song to G by taking off the capo.

Posted : 23/05/2010 3:44 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I can hardly sing even without guitar! LOL!

It sounds Ok to me. Very relaxed.

BTW, I forgot to mention it in the previous post. The song finishes suddenly. I don't know if it is SoundClick.

Posted : 23/05/2010 7:36 pm
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I can hardly sing even without guitar! LOL!

It sounds Ok to me. Very relaxed.

BTW, I forgot to mention it in the previous post. The song finishes suddenly. I don't know if it is SoundClick.
What's strange is that I can't sing without a guitar. I can't feel the interactions of the vibrations and have trouble telling if I'm on pitch.
You're right, the song does finish suddenly. Honestly, that's just sloppy editing on my part. I didn't allow sufficient time for the strings to finish vibrating before I started shuffling around, so I just cut it with a very quick fade. Mistakes are a great way to learn though!

Posted : 23/05/2010 9:51 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

What's strange is that I can't sing without a guitar.
It is curious. Sting said a similar thing. It is in the documentary of his DVD "All this time". He was showing how to play one of his songs to the bassist (Christian McBride), it was one of the very famous (Roxanne or similar). He was not able to play neither sing without "the other part".

Posted : 24/05/2010 5:38 am
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

What's strange is that I can't sing without a guitar.
It is curious. Sting said a similar thing. It is in the documentary of his DVD "All this time". He was showing how to play one of his songs to the bassist (Christian McBride), it was one of the very famous (Roxanne or similar). He was not able to play neither sing without "the other part".
Then again I'm not a very skilled singer, as you can probably tell!

Posted : 25/05/2010 12:06 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my voice is naturally lower now. being un trained certain keys of songs are hard for me. I either have to sing higher or lower.
I have learned that lower isn't the way to go. it is really difficult to pull off. you just did the same thing. the vocals don't work.
your playing and pitch are fine. this stuff isn't as easy as I first thought.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/05/2010 10:48 pm
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

my voice is naturally lower now. being un trained certain keys of songs are hard for me. I either have to sing higher or lower.
I have learned that lower isn't the way to go. it is really difficult to pull off. you just did the same thing. the vocals don't work.
your playing and pitch are fine. this stuff isn't as easy as I first thought.
Although it obviously works for some people as Gordon Lightfoot sings in a deep voice but sounds great. Maybe my tone has more to do with it; my voice certainly does not have the presence and timbre that Lightfoot's does.

Posted : 25/05/2010 11:33 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not that I'm in anyway even a halfway decent singer but that can be partly due to your (breathing) technique. Try to breath in more from the below the chest. Also, part of your throat (sorry, dont know the english term) can be in different positions, for example when you yawn. (feel your throat when you yawn and you'll feel it). That is a massive tone-part too, in 'yawn-position' your voice will sound much darker and you sing such passages with a 'stronger' voice. It's very basicly explained so many some vocal coach here can help out with the proper explanation. :)

Posted : 27/05/2010 3:54 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

listen to this man. he can sing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 27/05/2010 11:28 pm
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Not that I'm in anyway even a halfway decent singer but that can be partly due to your (breathing) technique. Try to breath in more from the below the chest. Also, part of your throat (sorry, dont know the english term) can be in different positions, for example when you yawn. (feel your throat when you yawn and you'll feel it). That is a massive tone-part too, in 'yawn-position' your voice will sound much darker and you sing such passages with a 'stronger' voice. It's very basicly explained so many some vocal coach here can help out with the proper explanation. :)
Thanks, I'll start working on breathing and achieving different tones. The first part of my journey of singing was based solely on staying around the correct pitch, which still proves to be difficult enough.

Posted : 29/05/2010 6:27 pm