Skip to content
Rock'n'Roll Footloo...

Notifications
Clear all

Rock'n'Roll Footloose Travelling Man - remixed!

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Finally got around to finishing this....I was going to do the whole song in open G, but it was a much heavier riff, and in the end I decided to do the whole thing in standard tuning.

Thanks to Arjen, I think I've solved the problem I had with Audacity...seems to be working better now, so thanks again mate!!!

I'm undecided as to whether to add a second rhythm guitar track or not - this is one of those "part-chord" things, played on mostly three strings and sometimes four...I'm wondering whether to add a slightly chunkier guitar sound to it as well? Or instead of playing just the intro and solo on slide, whether or not to continue throughout the song with it....?

Drums are programmed - the organ, rhythm, slide, bass and vocals are all me....anyway, here's the link....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

and the song's called "Rock'n'Roll Footloose Travelling Man"......the orignal riff's in there somewhere as well (it says "1st riff" next to it....) if you'd like to compare and contrast....

:D :D :D

Vic

EDIT - Sun 13th - I've played around with the mix, brought the bass up a bit and increased the volume on the vocal track....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/01/2007 10:22 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sounds cool man, I like it. You happen to be into Lou Reed, it's just too easy picturing him playing and singing this song. :D

Posted : 11/01/2007 10:45 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I like it, and yep, it does sound quite Lou Reed :)

I loved the slide, really good. The track's just crying out to be ended with a one or two bar-long little outro, that would be good done with the slide again I reckon.

As for 'chunking up', that's the great thing about multitracking - just record it and play with the mix. If you don't like it, bin it :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 11/01/2007 11:46 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

this is brill love the slide , vocal has a nice feel all over, would like it more upfront [louder] for me ....you done it all as well 8) great .smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 12/01/2007 12:16 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Good one Vic, Lou Reed Vocals, George Harrison slide. If you're open to suggestions, I would bring the bass up a bit and add a second guitar, open G tuned think Keef crunch sound.
THis one is definatley a keeper Vic

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 12/01/2007 1:36 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

ahhh this is one excellent piece ...

"'Cause I know what I want, and I know what I am,
I'm a rock'n'roll footloose travelling man...."

YEAH ..........

Well done mate this is ..I'll say it again EXCELLENT

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 13/01/2007 10:05 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the responses....

Do I like Lou Reed? is the Pope Catholic?

Wasn't what I was looking for, thought the main (rhythm) riff was kind of half Stones, half T.Rex....sort of a cross between "Brown Sugar" and "Get It On".....

I can see how you'd think it was LR influenced - hell, on my soundclick site, I've cited Lou as a main influence.....been a big fan since about 72, when "Walk On The Wild Side" was a big hit over here.....

Anyway, thanks as always for kind comments, got another song on the boil right now....this is proving a bit trickier, I wrote it about 20 years ago(!!!) when I knew sod all, it's about time it got music put to it.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/01/2007 12:31 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

oh and I REALLY like the "George Harrison slide" comparison.....I'm not fit to re-string his Gretsch yet, but.....comments like that keep you going....

Vic

Posted : 14/01/2007 12:33 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Well all I've got to say Vic is :-

"Plastic Soul Man! Plastic Soul!"

Oh! and "Totally brilliant effort old boy" (In a Cheltenham accent, whatever that is)

All the best and keep it up Vic

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 14/01/2007 3:11 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Brings back Gasoline Alley (Stewart) memories! I could actually imagine a mandolin going on in the background.

I love the rhythm guitar with that litle bit of edgy distortion and of course, the slide work.

Good job Vic!

Posted : 14/01/2007 3:32 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I have to add though, your stuff is getting to sound like you at this point; your own style.

Congrats on that because, well, that's what we all aspire to in one way or another. :)

Posted : 14/01/2007 3:47 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Very nice song. Great slide and lyrics.

Contains a similar feeling to the 'Rockin' all over the world' by Status Quo.

Keep up the good work.

Rahul

Posted : 14/01/2007 4:22 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I like the mix, nice balance to the parts, nothing overwhelms anything else.

Gives a neat Tom Waits sitting in with the Faces kind of vibe.

I've downloaded this one and added it to the iPod.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 14/01/2007 4:45 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Really good song and mix.
Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 14/01/2007 5:05 pm