Clear all

Some new live band recordings

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Inspired by Roys thread in opinions and polls I decided it is time I should perhaps post something every now and then, just so people can people can can get a sense of the type of stuff I play in the band.

I have to be honest, i did pick out these three songs for a specific purpose - I am not a lead guitarist, i dont consider myself to know half of what i sould in that area, but due to the fact that the band only has one guitarist - i have to play all the lead. For different reasons these songs are important to me, as coming up with the solo for each one tested me in a very different way.

1. LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU - this wont be a familiar song to those in the US - but it has no guitar in it. For that reason, we decided to put a rock guitar solo in the end of the song to surprise people (solo starts about 2min 25s). This is the first time I have been asked to make a solo start to finish without anything to go off - and if there is feedback, i wouldnt mind peoples opinion on it - I do struggle with phrasing and structuring a solo so it feelis like it actually goes somewhere).

2. SO LONELY - I love the song, but again struggled with what to do for the solo - at least this time I had something to go off - i hope Andy summers wont be too disappointed in my "interpretation" of his guitar solo - it was difficult to keep it sounding a little odd, like andy's does on the original. (solo starts at about 2min 23s)

3. SWEET CHILD OF MINE - Seemed like it took me forever to find a way to play this without it always sounding like i got it wrong when the solo comes over. I obviously stay well clear and cop out from what slash plays, but am interested to hear what people think of how i tackled it. The song starts of a bit sloppy on my part, but its a live recording.

thanks for all those who listen.

Here is the link to the songs.

AL

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=835776

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 30/01/2011 1:07 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Very cool man, I enjoyed these Al! You sounded great on lead there!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 31/01/2011 2:07 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

2. SO LONELY - I love the song, but again struggled with what to do for the solo -
You might have struggled with what to do for it, but that struggle didn't last long. After a short period of time, the guitar/tone/solo really blended in well. Good change-on-the-fly.
3. SWEET CHILD OF MINE - Seemed like it took me forever to find a way to play this without it always sounding like i got it wrong when the solo comes over. I obviously stay well clear and cop out from what slash plays, but am interested to hear what people think of how i tackled it. The song starts of a bit sloppy on my part, but its a live recording.
I thought it conveyed the song well. Us folks here in the States get to hear the first few bars of this song every time we walk into a guitar shop on a weekend. It's replaced stairway locally, at least for now. Very refreshing to hear the whole thing even if you didn't do it note for note, so to speak. Adding to it was that your guitar stayed within the band, the moment and the song. That is something I've heard a gigging band or two fail at around here. I thought you did very well with this. Remember, not all the original players play the same song the same way every night.

Very well done! 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/02/2011 11:06 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks for listening roy i appreciate it :D

funnuy you should mention stairway to heaven. It is one of my "why i have i never done that?" list - if it is possible to believe, i have never heard the song - although i keep hearing about it and the intro, it really is something i should look at. No excuse these days with youtube so easily available.

Thanks again for listening and the kind comments.
Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 01/02/2011 6:21 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You've never heard Stairway? Wow, that's quite hard to do. I love the tune, but I'm not sure why I don't play it. I know a couple phrases maybe, but that's about it. Those I think I even stumbled on while noodling.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/02/2011 6:39 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

I've listened to So Lonely and Sweet child of mine a couple of time and thought both solos worked fine. If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't of realised they were not the original solos. I have to admit that I skipped on to your solo in Let me entertain you, its not a song I like. But that solo was good, probally the best of three.

I think you will of heard Stairway to heaven maybe just didn't realise it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 01/02/2011 6:46 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks for listening jase - and your right, i probably will have heard stairway to heaven but not realised what it was - but all i seem to think of when i hear the words "stairway to heaven" is a rolf harris song - which is awful! :lol:

not sure if you know who rolf is over in the us - he is well worth a google. :D

Posted : 01/02/2011 6:58 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nice job Al as usual. Band sounds good.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 01/02/2011 8:20 pm