Clear all

Steve Vai Inspired Improv

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I saw a video of Steve Vai soloing over the theme to Halo, the video game. Decided to try it myself. I'm not Steve Vai but I did bob my head like Jimi Hendrix so I hope that's worth something. At the least it's an excuse, hair flew in my face and I couldn't see a darn thing.

All guitars recorded through direct line through RP50
Rhythm Guitars: LP Copy
Lead Guitar: Squier Stratocaster (it has more treble for leads for some reason)
Caffiene to keep me awake on 4 hours of sleep: Coca Cola
Url to Listen to the track: http://owa.dmusic.com/

Posted : 10/03/2007 12:39 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Very nice OWA

ahhh hair flowing in eyes { mmmm I wish I could use that one }

Worth something alright , worth bl00dy listening to over and over ...

I hope you get a few more listeners than just this ol fart , I know what its like to post something and no-one bothers to listen and offer feed back ..

Sorry me typing what I am thinking again

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 10/03/2007 6:44 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

OWA

Nice Job! I'm quite impressed at how much you have improved
in a short period of time.

Keep it up

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 10/03/2007 11:10 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

8) I really enjoyed that! 8) Wish it was longer. Good job OWA! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/03/2007 1:25 pm
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Sounds like your cheapening your sound with too much gain.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

Posted : 10/03/2007 9:32 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I hope you get a few more listeners than just this ol fart , I know what its like to post something and no-one bothers to listen and offer feed back ..

Getting listeners is easy. Just put a famous guitarist in your thread's title. The track having anything to do with with the guitarist not necessary.

Clarify please. Which guitar? What does cheapening mean?

Posted : 11/03/2007 5:05 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I might have to call my next one

Tears on Heaven , A little Clapton <----obvious mistake :lol: :lol:

Posted : 11/03/2007 9:18 am
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Clarify please. Which guitar? What does cheapening mean?

Your rhythm guitar; the tone sounds like it is being suffocated with extremely muddy gain from a low quality amp. If you are using an LP I'm sure you can get much more smooth sounds if you back of the gain and let some of the guitar's naturally great tone shine through.

Also, what were your EQ settings at for the rhythm? It sounded really bloated like the Lows and Highs were really high but the Mids were dropped.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

Posted : 11/03/2007 4:26 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bass: 5
Mid: 3
Treble: 7

I should tell you it's not a Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul. It's a copy, so it looks like a Les Paul. Whether or not it is designed to sound the same as one I don't know.

I posted a quick sample of a tone with less gain. Let me know if it sounds better. I went through my amp this time. And that's as low as the gain gets.........it's my amp's clean channel.

http://owa.dmusic.com/

Posted : 11/03/2007 5:13 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I've listen to both now and thought to give you some feed back OWA

I'll be totally honest it isn't my kind of music but that doesn't mean I don't mind listening how you continually keep improveing with each recording ..

I like the second version just a tad more than the first , only because I like to hear each note being played , thats just a personal opinion thing ..

If I was good enough to do this sort of stuff I would probably go again with what ever you did to alter the sound and play around with gain and volume so the notes really ring out { I hope that makes sence } ..

But like I said I like the second version even though its' shorter but to me its' alot clearer ...{ might be my old ears though }

Keep Posting mate you are very talented and I 'll say I'm a fan

Trevor

Posted : 13/03/2007 5:21 am
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Getting better. :D

What pedals are you using?

- John Frusciante

Posted : 15/03/2007 10:46 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Just wanted to chime in with the others who have mentioned this before, the recording quality is hurtin the overall sound, something needs to be turned down, otherwise it clips and just sounds like static, I get the same issue with my bass, I have to turn it way down compared to recording my guitar, I think because the bass has active electronics, either way if I don't it gets garbled. You might be able to adjust recording volume with windows sound control panel or something until you find something, I'm positive that you sound way way more awesome than what is coming through on the recordings and I look forward to hearing that.

Posted : 16/03/2007 12:54 am
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Just a little extra bit here, if you have high speed internet and you can record yourself on your computer, you can also use microsoft messenger, yahoo messenger and probably any of the other major messenger programs to play your guitar directly over the net for someone, the delay in transfer of course makes jamming impossible but can be handy to be able to do and in this case you could have someone help you find the right recording setup so that you get the best out of your recording setup.

Posted : 16/03/2007 3:31 am
(@ibanezplayer86)
Eminent Member

i dont see anything on the site to do with halo... or steve vai??? :s

where is this improv!!!???

Posted : 01/06/2007 6:14 am
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Thanks for that ibanezplayer86 as I was scratching my head thinking I was going blind. Where has it gone?

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Posted : 01/06/2007 11:01 am
Page 1 / 2