Clear all

studio demo's

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

you hit the nail on the head with that last comment.
however, this is the only time this problem has caused argumentents, as when we play live i control my own volume so i raise and lower it accordingly with no problem - i think we might stick to live video's for demo's in future.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 04/11/2009 2:07 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

And I have to agree that it would seem at some point that you will eventually part ways. Although it's not inevitable the fact that it's a fairly common occurence in bands and you are already headed in that direction. You may not want to act on it now but you should give some thought to what the band would/should look like if he leaves because alot of times someone leaves because they have a better/different opportunity which is great for them but if you aren't prepared for their departure it could leave you hanging.

We dropped out drummer early on because at the time her style just didn't fit with what we were playing and we found a new drummer, the ironic part of this story is about a year later and she's been out there gigging for months with another band and we haven't done anything more than a few open mic's without the full band ever. It still was the right move for us though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 04/11/2009 7:30 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think you can achieve good DIY results these days with a computer and some recording software. As far as the mix differences ... those are piano songs so I think that is why the piano s heavy in the mix. Do more guitar stuff. :twisted: Crazy little thing called love had good guitar in the mix. Nice job.

P.S. Thats why I'll never play in a band with a keyboard :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 08/11/2009 5:25 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This probably the most unflattering review you've ever gotten. Don't read it if you want your ego stroked. I'm speaking the words a reputable producer would tell you.

I don't think your lead singer could rock if you put him in a rocking chair. Even on the live cuts, the vocals sound stilted and lifeless. No soul, bro, no soul. He's learned how to hit the proper notes but he conveys no emotion or "attitude" at all.

The whole band needs to learn how to play TOGETHER. I hear a bass searching for a pocket the drums should be providing. Without the rhythm groove from the bass and drums, the guitar and keys have no hope of finding their own groove. Plus, the little ego conflict you and the keys have going means you're - sometimes not intentionally - each trying to overpower the other, and any hope of cohesion gets tossed right out the window.

There's a lot of raw talent there, but there's no teamwork at all. You should be serving the song, not your egos.

My advice:
Resolve the ego conflicts one way or another, or break up. IF you manage to resolve the conflicts, each member should focus on making sure the rest of the band sounds great. Focus on finding the groove and the pocket. Focus on starting and stopping together. Stick a pin in the singer once in a while so he's not so blase'.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 08/11/2009 8:38 pm
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member

we went into a studio this week to record demo's for our website. and i have to say i am very disappointed with what we got back - especially crocodile rock which seems to have got rid the guitar completely!!
in all honesty i think many of the members here could have recorded and mixed us better in their own home - in fact we should have flown over to dogbites for the money these cost - he would have done a much better job :D

still, i will post them anyway,
1.human
2. crocodile rock
3. crazy little thing called love

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=835776

happy halloween!
Al

EDIT - i have now remixed croc rock and calle dit croc rock remix. there are also 2 versions of hound dog on their - the studio demo and my remix. the more i listen to the studio versions the more angry i feel about these have come out - still - lesson learned :D
I listened to Croc Rock and I honestly didn't think it sounded that bad. Now, obviously I don't know how you intended it to turn out, but from what I heard it was clear, crisp and poppy. I know the feeling of getting something back and being quite disappointed with it. It's been happening to me through this producer we've been working with over the last year. Although we're on the same page with some things, others we are not, and it's upsetting to get something back that you expected to sound completely different.

Keep at it, it's all about the process as they say. :)

Posted : 09/11/2009 6:57 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Jimmy binder, thanks for listening and the comments.
Moonrider, thanks for the honesty. We have come a long way over the past year or so but absolutely, we do still have a long way to go. I agree with everything you said and we do need to iron out some of these big issues we have sooner rather than later. It is just a case now of how to go about doing that :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 09/11/2009 8:43 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Almann, doesn't it seem like the more you learn about music, the more you find out you need to learn? That's how I feel sometimes. Doesn't bother me a whole lot these days, but I bet it would have when I was 20. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 09/11/2009 10:40 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Almann, doesn't it seem like the more you learn about music, the more you find out you need to learn? That's how I feel sometimes. Doesn't bother me a whole lot these days, but I bet it would have when I was 20. :roll:

+1

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 17/11/2009 6:18 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I missed this thread!

I was listening some tracks. Well, I like them, probably you will need to arrange some things but they sound good to me!

Thanks for sharing. 8)

Posted : 17/11/2009 2:16 pm
Page 2 / 2