Clear all

Stumbleine - Smashing Pumpkins cover

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@simonb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi guys, this is the first recording I've done and actually been happy with (i.e. I was able to listen through without once cringing at my singing), so I thought I'd share it with you all for some comments and constructive criticism. You can hear it at http://stb.dmusic.com/ .

The recording setup was very ad hoc. I figured I'd have a bit of a play in the bathroom, primarily to amplify the otherwise quiet fingerpicked guitar in this song, but I found it also made the vocals sound quite nice. So I ended up recording it using my mp3 player, with me sitting on the edge of the bath and it balanced on the towel rack infront of me. Not pretty, but I reckon it sounds pretty decent, all things considered.

I've never thought myself much of a singer (at all), but the bathroom acoustics seemed to work in my favour here, but yeah, all comments are welcome, and thanks for listening.

(And just fyi, I've blanked out the one adult word in it, so it's safe for all ears).

Posted : 15/02/2007 2:17 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

sorry cant get dmusic soundclick is about the one most can get.....smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 15/02/2007 4:23 pm
(@simonb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, I had a look at the soundclick site, but they seemed to have quite strict rules about cover songs - i.e. you must contact publisher, pay royalties, all of that. That is out of the question obviously for something small like this, but I was wondering is it really necessary or do they just have that up to cover themselves?

Anyway, in meantime I have uploaded it also here http://members.iinet.net.au/~rbinns/stumbleine_edit.mp3 . I don't know how much bandwidth I get with that, but it should be enough for a few of you to hear.

And just on dmusic, I find winamp plays the hifi and lofi .m3u stream files with no problems. Maybe that's something you can try if you haven't already (not just for me obviously, but the site in general).

Posted : 15/02/2007 11:53 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't know the song, it's completely new to me......

But the acoustic guitar is nice, the vocals sound fine, nicely laid-back - though too low in the mix....

And it sounds as though you've JUST put new strings on, they're AWFULLY squeaky as you move up or down a couple of frets...

But yeah, I like the overall sound, you just need the voice a bit louder....nice playing, good vocals.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/02/2007 12:53 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

The strings are a bit squeaky! :shock: Nice fingerpicking & vocals though. The bathroom echo works well. :wink: Nice job. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/02/2007 1:08 am
(@simonb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the squeaking. Basically, the really bad squeaks were meant to be slides, but being quite long (3rd to 10th fret) and on the 6th string, I was in two minds as to whether to do it or not, and so ended up only half committing to most of them, which ended up with all the squeaking. There are one or two in there where you can hear me slide up or down properly, but yeah, it mostly just came out sounding annoying :lol:

I'm not sure there's much I can do about the vocal volume in the bathroom (the recorder was already level with and pointing right at my mouth), so maybe moving back to the computer for future recordings is the go (or maybe moving the computer into the bathroom is the better option :D)

Thanks for the comments though guys, much appreciated.

Posted : 16/02/2007 1:09 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

ok got it but took hell of a long time :cry: anyway kill the squeeky thing and its good :D nice vocal ..thanks ..smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 16/02/2007 7:46 am