Clear all

Sweet Child O Mine in a year?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well I've finally managed to get a few recordings of my guitar playing. I think I've come a long way in 10 months, but I still sound decidely amateurish with many many mistakes. I've just got a BOSS Micro BR and have been dabbling with it for the last few days, and since I can now create recordings (damn those electric shocks from my laptop!), I thought I'd share what I can do and get some feedback.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

Sweet Child O' Mine
===================
I had to learn this, mainly the intro as a finger exercise, but the crazy bend-fest solos are fun too. The backing track I got from a popular music game, I hope its ok for me to ask opinions on it.

The effects, timing, and basically all of it isn't the best take I could do. I was basically rushing to get something to show a colleague at work, but its a fairly good snapshot of my playing.

Anybody Out There?
==================
I love the simplicity of this song, although I fluffed up the walkdown near the end. Its supposed to be finger picked, with the base notes being louder than the other arpeggios, but my dynamics are crap to say the least.

One
==================
I learned this because it was a nice slow single note melody, and it has many complexities to get better at. I was just messing around with this recording, but thought Id show it all the same.

Enter Sandman
==================
Again, another song I've been messing around with for a while but not actually learning the song. I might learn it properly soon lol.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

I'd love some feedback on these, because I've had none from anyone musical since I started playing, which is the best part of a year ago. I'm playing on a Iceman Ibanez, smart looking guitar, not built for comfort unfortunately lol. :)

Thanks in advance!

Posted : 17/12/2008 8:14 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That's really good for only playing a year.

I only listened to the first one because the web site hosting your songs is not very user friendly.
For example, when I linked to the site,
I thought I had to register . . . but the register button on your link wasn't working.
Then I saw the security code I had to type in . . . but it expired while I was trying to get the register button to work.
Then it gave me a new one . . . . but I had to wait through a 60 countdown (because I wasn't registered)
Then I had to wait to download the song . . . but I didn't want to download it . . . . I just wanted to listen to it.

You might want to try Soundclick.com for hosting your songs.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 17/12/2008 1:42 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, the guitar is sometimes lost in the mix because I'm new to the whole mixing thing and my new Micro BR. The reason for not using soundclick is I uploaded at work, and it was blocked. I'll change the links when I get a chance.

Posted : 17/12/2008 2:03 pm
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Very impressive. Don't sweat the mistakes, they're a necessary part of the journey.

It's a dry heat!

Posted : 18/12/2008 7:32 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

learning sweet child o mine was one of the reasons i started playing, it was kind of a challenge to myself. it felt awesome to finally crack it from start to finish but it took me 3 years.

i would say the amount of practice you have put in over the last year really shows - nice one!!
much further ahead of where i was after 12 months

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 20/12/2008 6:09 pm