Clear all

Tell me what you think.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

This is some friends and me playing I'm playing guitar acoustic player is singer and the bass and drummer are friends of ours.

This was recorded in "the Trailer Studio" not the real one. Everything is one take. i broke a lot of rules like, I recorded one night mixed and mastered the next... So this is a 2 day project so the quality is not the greatest. It think my ears were tired.

Anyway asking for comments tips, I can' t wait to get into my real one i need to hurry up and finish it but it's christmas so money goes to gifts now....

http://aaron.customdesigns.googlepages.com/photos

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

Posted : 19/11/2008 3:25 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Leear,

I think it's a good recording and a good mix. I'm certainly not an expert, but I liked it. I'm not sure how I feel about the echo thing that you put in at the end of a couple of the chorus's, but even that wasn't bad. I especially liked the lead playing. Very nice stuff!

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 19/11/2008 3:41 pm
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

i was in a guitar playing mood that night hadn't played my tele in a while so i went to town on those solos

Posted : 20/11/2008 3:56 pm
(@mesa-monster)
Estimable Member

Overall, it's a really nice take on this classic. Vocals were pretty good for the most part -- thought they were weaker when the Axl Rose thing creeps in.
Loved the lead playing, especially at the first and in the early solos. I thought the overdrive was a bit heavy on the lead at the end.
Really liked the overall feel. It sounds like a version that Skynrd could've done,very rootsy, a bit Black Crowes. Also liked how spare the arrangement is early on.
The only criticism I'd have is that the end is too much like the GNR version. They cornered that hard rock thing on the song, and, to me, it's pretty tough to re-interpret. If I was producing, I'd keep the earlier feel and just rock it up in the same style to end the song.
But overall, really nice take and recording.

Posted : 22/11/2008 4:11 pm
(@rpmad)

I liked it, but (there's always a but)..........

The guitar and bass are spot on!!

The drumming is a little off and sloppy.

The singing doesn't have any heart in it. It's like he is reading it. I sing and I have to sing a song for at least a week about 20 times a day until I am able to really pull it off. You have to sing till you are blue in the face and can sing it while reading the newspaper. Let him know he has the potential, but it needs way more practice to clean up the bad spots. Just burn a CD of the song (your song, not GNR) and put it on repeat in his car. That way he can try new things and not worry if it sound like crap because its just him. Its hard to sing in a low volume tone. You have to really want it and push hard from your diaphram. Trust me, if he pulls that song off, then that opens up an entire library of songs that he could follow up with.

The "echo effect" in the chorus should be lost.

The overall recording could be brighter. Sounds like its muffled. If I turn the treble up, it sounds better.

Sorry, ask for opinions and ye shall receive.
Ryan

Posted : 26/11/2008 7:47 pm
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I asked for opinions for those reasons believe me I like criticism. I re worked it we added some organ and a few different things. Amazingly enough I get a 50/50 decision on the echo a lot of people love it and a lot don't. I and he personally do. We're trying not to do a cover but an original classic. I re-mastered it now becaue it's been about 2 weeks since I heard it. It's much more clear now not bass heavy....

Posted : 01/12/2008 11:08 am