Testing 2 guitar tones over a funk blues

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@angelonapoli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to share this little 12 bar blues using my Ibanez FG100 (and THU-full for the effects).
I tested 2 guitar sounds using the same solo over this funk blues. Can't make up my mind about them. One is more raw, the other more fusionish ?
Which one do you prefer ?

https://youtu.be/j9PUYnIbfYg

Posted : 18/12/2022 10:16 am
Topic Tags
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

How can we choose between the two? They are both unique tones.

If you were playing them live, my preference would come down to the night of the week, what you're wearing, how the band looks, how many drinks I've had, the crowd's reaction. When you're soloing over a jam track the tone can be anything. But when you're playing live for a crowd the tone becomes almost everything.

I like to think of the notes as what you have to say. And the tone is how you say it. What sounds good live might not sound as good when you're listening to it in a car flying down the highway. In practice most guitarists have a signature tone they stick to. You always know when Gilmour, Ford, Knopfler, Fogerty or whoever has a new song out - because their tone is unmistakably theirs.

Which of the two tones feels most like your unique voice to you?

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 18/12/2022 4:03 pm
AngeloNapoli reacted
(@rene-a)
Estimable Member

Cheers!!!

I love the first one.

Simply beautiful.

Rene

Posted : 18/12/2022 7:02 pm
AngeloNapoli reacted
(@angelonapoli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rene-a

Cheers!!!

I love the first one.

Simply beautiful.

Rene

Thank you so much for your message! I had some hard times to pick one tone over the other : the 1st one sounded more in tune with the spirit of the blues but the 2nd brought maybe more clarity/fluidity to the sound, so I was a bit lost there. Thanks a lot!

Posted : 19/12/2022 8:21 am
(@angelonapoli)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @paulhackett

How can we choose between the two? They are both unique tones.

If you were playing them live, my preference would come down to the night of the week, what you're wearing, how the band looks, how many drinks I've had, the crowd's reaction. When you're soloing over a jam track the tone can be anything. But when you're playing live for a crowd the tone becomes almost everything.

I like to think of the notes as what you have to say. And the tone is how you say it. What sounds good live might not sound as good when you're listening to it in a car flying down the highway. In practice most guitarists have a signature tone they stick to. You always know when Gilmour, Ford, Knopfler, Fogerty or whoever has a new song out - because their tone is unmistakably theirs.

Which of the two tones feels most like your unique voice to you?

Howdy! Thank you for your message. I love it since it is thought provoking in a good way!

It highlights some differences we have when it comes to a tone. To me, tone is everything regardless of the situation (live or bedroom lol). There is not a tone I would like watching my computer that I would hate live and vice versa. As a matter of fact if I listen to a musician (live or online) with what would be to me a "bad tone" I lose interest in the playing.

I agree with you about the parallel with notes being the words and tone how you say it. That's a good one. So in this regard I could see tone as a language accent. In this regard I love italian accent whereas I find german accent way less sexy. So if I would hear a german speaking English on a video or live face to me would not change my perception of this accent.

Thanks for your message, was very interesting!

Posted : 19/12/2022 8:27 am