Clear all

The Redemption of Others

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@333maxwell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey gang, hope everyone has made the transition to the new year and retained all their body parts along the way.

----

For anyone wandering around looking for something to do..

I just finished this one a few minutes ago, I call it The Redemption of Others.

It is a type of Gospel based composition that I drug over the coals a bit. A song for these trying times if you will.... (if you 'wont, I don't blame you).

There is a whacky bit of guitar nonsense in the middle, not sure it will fly with the traditionalists... but then my stuff rarely does anyway. I'd be interested mostly if your first instincts were that it fit, or if that it didn't.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8697613

Posted : 01/02/2010 9:54 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I like it. It reminds to me to some Beatles songs, perhaps in Revolver album (BTW my favorite).

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 02/02/2010 3:18 pm
(@333maxwell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your time and thoughts Nuno..

I am out collecting thoughts as I am going to lock myself away for several hours and try and rebuild this one.. so the thoughts come in handy..

Thanks again..

Peace~!

Posted : 03/02/2010 4:56 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'll be waiting for the next version! :D

Posted : 03/02/2010 5:54 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I see what Nuno means about reminding him of the beatles, - the vocals are awesome on this, what effects have to done on them?

anyway, this is a really great composition, i really enjoyed it.

The guitar bit is really cool as well, it definately fit and i love the phrasing.

superb job!!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 04/02/2010 9:03 pm
(@333maxwell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Alman..

I get the Beatle thing frequently.. it's mostly because I have a whiney voice and use the track manipulation you asked about.. something I don't think Lennons engineers didn't do on just about everything ..... remember, it may seem primitive now, but back then it was state of the art.. *L*

People mention the vocals plenty, so lets talk about them a bit.. what I did is incredibly simple and applied correctly can give a lot of life to a lot of different tracks.. some will roll their eyes and say 'duh' but someone might get something from it.

To record the main vocal I just recorded it dry.. from a AKG 452EB (old early 70's small condenser) ...

I then took the main track and applied volume envelopes (rather than compression.. for no reason that will matter to any reasonable person)...

Ok.. so you have your main track recorded and smoothed out.. (compression or adjusted volumes)..

Duplicate it..

Two tracks.. then cut the second track into segments around the different phrases... so 'Mary had a little lamb'.. if you chopped it so it was Mary.. and another section was 'had' and another section was 'a little' and the last section is 'lamb'.

From here you take each section of that second duplicate track that you chopped (leaving the original unchopped of course) and advance, or retard each segment by ear.

I know that if I put the segment 'Mary' before the Mary of the original, it will give a reverse slap on that M.. that's a good thing.. the accentuated M like M-Mary I also know if I advance the 'lamb' segment over the original, the B will be accented... Lamb-b

I'll grab the 'had' and try it before and after, then feel out the best spot for 'a little' .. etc etc etc etc..

M-Mary had-d a-a lit(tt)tle lamb-b

It's like a living and breathing unpredictable yet working delay... it took much more time to type and read it than to actually do it.. it doesn't have to be exact.. Had I of just used a delay it would be predictable and you would (perhaps unknowingly) have this audio clue what is coming next and you will know when a slap will come.. it's all rather un-dynamic..

--

But that's it.. nothing else done to the main vocal..

Adjusted volumes, and a chopped up duplicate track advanced and retarded over the original, at whim.

---

Hope that helps..

I do appreciate the ear and time~!

PEACE~!

Posted : 06/02/2010 5:48 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

it doesnt sound like it took more time to type out than to do - and the results are definately worth it. of course it helps to have a good voice to start with i bet (something i dont have).

anyway, from start to finish it was a great recording. once again, well done!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 06/02/2010 6:57 pm