Clear all

They Know Me Well

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@portia)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

this is a song I wrote long ago for the sunday songwriters group. I just got a better recording of it up here: http://portia.dmusic.com It's under the Guitarnoise SSG songs section and is called "they know me well". Any comments you guys have would be great. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

:) Portia

Posted : 16/05/2005 5:01 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It is kind of hard to be critical of your performance.
It seems that once I hear your voice I kind of drift away.
I would say that I would like to see something different at the end.
I don't know what but it just seemed to end a bit too abruptly for me.
On a side note: Loved "Behind Blue Eyes" I would really like to hear you do that song with proper backing instrumentals.

Posted : 16/05/2005 9:02 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I really like the song! You've got a great voice.

One thing I did notice about the mix is that the lead guitar is conflicting with the vocal in quite a few spots. Both are *very* upfront in the mix, and tend to mask each other when they're both present.

If I were mixing the tune, I'd probably add some reverb to the lead guitar and lower it's level in the mix a touch. That would move it behind the vocal, but still have it do the job of complementing and counterpointing the vocal melody.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 18/05/2005 11:20 pm
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I don't have the the greatest monitoring system in front of me, but it sounds like it would benefit from some creative panning as well.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

Posted : 18/05/2005 11:42 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree with Moonrider but, I would say, raise your vocals not lower the lead. I say that because 1) you have a beautiful voice 2) the dynamics in the instruments sound great the way they are.

I think you should go with the flow of the song and release your voice at the points you are getting drowned out.

You have a very enchanting voice. Thank you for sharing your song.

Posted : 18/05/2005 11:58 pm
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

great voice girl, kinda reminds me of alanis, you nailed it to the wall way to go, damn, she sings great, plays great, and is beautiful, omg, portia will you marry me lol.

Posted : 23/05/2005 10:13 pm
(@portia)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions. Just FYI, the lead guitar isn't me - just the rhythm guitar and vocals - I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do. I will try to work on the balance between the vocals and lead guitar - once I get a chance to do that, I will probably repost it to see if you guys think it's an improvement. In the mean time, any further suggestions are, of course, welcome.

:) Portia

Posted : 26/05/2005 12:24 am
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

I think the mix of the guitar and vocals is good just the way it is, but you could try to get a little interplay between the two to make them mesh together. You have a very strong and developed voice, duel with that guitar.

Posted : 31/05/2005 4:29 am
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

Well, I guess I don't need to offer any more praise than has already been given. Have you ever considered doing a cover of Joni Mitchell's "The Priest". I think your voice and style would be perfect for that song.

Posted : 06/08/2005 4:13 pm