VIRTUAL BUSKING aka "so you think you can play guitar"

101 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
21.5 K Views
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The saddest song I ever wrote is really the sadddest song I never wrote! :shock: It is an original but I did not write it I wrote the rest of the songs though.
I am going to redo my songs because I didint like the way they turned out

The saddest song I ever wrote lyics

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=38065

:shock: That is absolutely flippin brilliant, Dan.
And now we know you're one of those annoyingly modest overachievers :evil: because you claim you didn't write 'the saddest song' when it was a COLLABORATION. But I am really, really quite impressed with both of you. :wink:

(song #5305? Actually I feel much better rereading the post about the guy who found that he stagnated after learning to change chords - that's me. And same with singing while playing being like patting-head-while-rubbing-stomach. I really wouldn't feel bad - especially at 15 :evil: - believe me, I'm having a lot of trouble with singing, playing AND remembering the lyrics at the same time :lol: )

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 07/11/2008 1:34 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The saddest song I ever wrote is really the sadddest song I never wrote! :shock: It is an original but I did not write it I wrote the rest of the songs though.
I am going to redo my songs because I didint like the way they turned out

:roll:
I think that puts you above the likes of Simon and Dylan, as far as annoyingly modest overachievers go. If you are going to be a true overachiever, you should at least quit apologizing for it!

Btw you should consider joining us more immodest types on youtube - metalguitargod_15 needs some competition :wink:

Posted : 07/11/2008 3:49 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Dylan, that is without doubt the best video you have posted to date. You made the song your own and I congratulate you for that. Its a great song. You played it well and you have a great singing voice. That would have got a good round of applause at an open mic night.

What are your plans for your next song?

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 07/11/2008 6:22 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Thank you thank you thank you.... (in a pre 1940's seaside entertainer(esk) voice...)

Really, it means a lot to get comments, especially favourable when, by your own ears and standards you think that it could be done much better - and it can - and it will - I promise :wink:

I'm thinking may be, as I need a few pennies to be dropping in my flat cap to feed me little 'ole mongrel 'ere by me side.... some Beatles - although the one I'm continually strumming uses a barre chord so that really needs to go into beginners video, but as you're such nice folks around these 'ere parts, I may reconsider.

Oasis is always good, but there again...barre - Rolling Stones - barre - Bruce Springsteen - hmmm yes - I tell you what I really love - Ventura Highway - CSNY, but pretty tricky. Maybe some drop D Neil Young stuff..... There soooo much good stuff around.

How about a request?

And also, my talented friends - how about lending your ear to the Sunday Songwriters Group thread - they're a great bunch of folks and if you've ever though of trying your hand at writing a song, these are just the guys and gals to help you on your way - I tell you - write something incoherent - post it - they come back with alternatives - you use them - you get the glory!!! Excellent - your a songwriter... :lol: Seriously, come and have a go. It's fun and I'm there to hold your hand.

Rock on friends!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 07/11/2008 6:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And also, my talented friends - how about lending your ear to the Sunday Songwriters Group thread - they're a great bunch of folks and if you've ever though of trying your hand at writing a song, these are just the guys and gals to help you on your way - I tell you - write something incoherent - post it - they come back with alternatives - you use them - you get the glory!!! Excellent - your a songwriter... Seriously, come and have a go. It's fun and I'm there to hold your hand.

And it works, too! I'm living proof - when I look back at the garbage I was writing back in June '04 when I first dropped in there, I can hardly believe it was me. Four years and over a hundred songs later, I can actually read what I've written without wincing (much.) And now I'm running the place....! Someone wake me up, please......

Dylan's already written two songs since last Sunday - and posted an mp3 clip of one of them. Even the notoriously recalcitrant KR2's written a couple of decent songs recently, AND added a video clip to one of them. Feedback's been favourable - it's all about ENCOURAGING people to write. So if you do feel like dropping in, please do - it's always nice to welcome some new faces and fresh ideas. I bet if you told Dylan and KR2 twelve months ago they'd be knocking out new songs at the rate of one a week, they'd have laughed out loud! Maybe this time next year, you'll ALL be swamping this thread with your own songs - who knows?

Oh, and thanks for the plug, Dylan!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/11/2008 2:08 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Stella, Stella, come in Stella - have you gone to the moon? Everyone's gone to the moon...

Ahhh, what a lovely song - hmm, who sung that schmalzy little ditty?

Anyways, hope things are ok. And talking of moons, you'll have to bear with me here because I've posted this on beginners videos as well, but it really is a cover of rather good song - which I have duly murdered, but it's also the first one you would have experienced with me using a plectrum - oh yes,....or oh no - take your pick :lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4iquV8G3XKo

Got a couple more I'm working on so as the first one is on 'beginners' i should use this thread from now on... but damn! I may be using barre chords - that's got to be worth a lookeeeee.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 09/01/2009 6:00 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

DYLAN! :D

Happy New Year! Bet you thought you'd never make it past Day 366, eh? Good job!

Yes, I'm still playing guitar! Actually I bought myself a new guitar for my birthday (don't ask, I'm ancient :lol: ): a Washburn electric acoustic which is a bit more ergonomic for me than the full-sized dreadnought :roll: and working on Fleetwood Mac's Songbird right now (don't hold your breath) ... Getting ready for a short road trip, actually, and looking forward to a) dropping off the girls with their grandparents and b) forcing my old friends to listen to my new-found guitar skills lol (laughs hysterically).

I promise to post again as soon as I've figured out how to get rid of the squeal that I never noticed before but the electric pickup is pretty sensitive to my technique - I mean, lack thereof :roll:

Of course it's a blue guitar :wink:

Posted : 09/01/2009 9:22 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice job on using the pick Dylan, and nice job on the song. Using a pick to strum isn't so scary after all is it? Now just don't lose it in the sound hole :lol: Those are a pain to get out (lots of personal experience).

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 10/01/2009 4:15 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I drop my pick all the time.
I start to relax while I'm strumning . . . get too relaxed and the fingers lose their grip . . . oops . . . on the floor.
Also, if my hands get sweaty, when I (even think about) record(ing) it slips from my grip . . . oops . . . on the floor.
Last time I was in the local guitar store, Guitar Center (non-paid, non-endorsed advertisement) I asked if picks came with a non-slip surface or something and . . . much to my delight, the answer was yes.
So I now have picks with a . . . ummh, kinda rough texture to the plastic . . . a non-skid pick.

KR2 (pick pickin')

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 10/01/2009 8:38 am
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I have got a new one for yall it called "Autumn in April"
Its my second atempt at instrumental stuff hope you guys like it.

Posted : 11/01/2009 3:08 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Dan - stop it already - you are NOT 15 :evil: I dare you to post that on youtube!

Anyway good to hear from you :lol: and Happy New Year!
...And to your capable hands I now pass the flaming guitar :mrgreen:

Posted : 11/01/2009 4:38 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I have got a new one for yall it called "Autumn in April"
Its my second atempt at instrumental stuff hope you guys like it.
Good job, Dan!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 11/01/2009 1:16 pm
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Thanks guys. :)

Posted : 13/01/2009 1:41 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

.... is there anybody out there .... :lol:

So this next video came very close to being yanked as soon as it was posted, but almost immediately it did better than anything else I've posted :oops: so decided to submit the link here for your viewing pleasure :oops:
(I promise NOT to wear the husband-beater on future videos, please excuse :roll: ) :

Me and Bobby McGee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJfWsNgfb-E

It's taken me a month to get used to the new acoustic-electric, seems like it magnifies every little squeak, and it's taken me a YEAR to figure out how to sing, play AND breathe :evil: all at the same time - on this particular song :evil: . Thanks again for your patient ears and I promise that one day it will be worth the wait lol

:wink:

Posted : 13/02/2009 10:36 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Wow, your singing is very nice :D Sounds kind of appellation. Try adjusting the EQ on the guitar, maybe lower the mids and highs a bit.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 14/02/2009 6:11 am
Page 5 / 7