Walk Away, Jumpin Jack Flash, You Really Got Me, andMr. Soul

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hey everyone, I have some new recordings that I made over Christmas Break while the band I was formerly in had all of its members back in town.
I was especially curious about what you guys think of the recording. I'm a student at a local University which happens to have a pretty cool music department. I was lucky enough to get a job as the recording engineer for all of the concerts. The catch is that what i'm recording is chamber ensembles, string orchestras, and jazz ensembles. They also have much better recording mics than I have. So it was very interesting, yet challenging to try to apply my techniques to a rock band. I was for the most part pleased with the result, but I was curious what others would think.

The tracks are uploaded on the band's myspace, http://www.myspace.com/spade00 . I'm not really a supporter of myspace, but hopefully everyone will be able to listen. The new songs are Jumping Jack Flash, You Really Got Me, Walk Away, and Mr. Soul.

Thanks for taking a listen!

Posted : 28/12/2007 7:21 pm
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

Nice job!

I'm not familiar with any of those new ones except for Jumpin' Jack Flash and You Really Got Me. Your voice really suited those songs really well, your voice does remind me a bit of Mick Jagger.

Keep it up. Nice guitar playing too!

What's your setup?

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

Posted : 28/12/2007 8:24 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Man,You Guys Are Good :!:

Your set list looks like something we might have play in 1972 .
(yes I'm that old}

The recordings sound great and you really nailed the Joe Walsh tone on Walk Away.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 28/12/2007 10:28 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Kickin' tunes! Love that James Gang. too bad about the recording. Sounds like you'd do well as a party band. Gotta get that bassist and drummer in there on back up vox. Mr Soul sounds spot on and thank you for not duplicating Neil Young's solo. I hate his solos. They could all be a bit tighter but you got the groove.

Just listened to Politician. Great stuff. I'd love to hear you guys do some Jethro Tull or King Crimson. Just a thought.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 29/12/2007 6:51 am
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words.
The mic setup was actually very simple. We set up in the practice place with all of the amps facing the same direction...sort of like a stage setup. I used two MXL small diaphram condensers placed at a right angle to record the amps and drums. That's my classical music recording setup that I wanted to try with the band. For the vocals, they went direct, and also through the monitors and condensers a little bit. It all went into the bass player's macbook. Nothing needed to be overdubbed. The only major problem was that the vocals got a little loud at spots, and clipped...especially in Jack Flash.
The bass player used a Fender Jaguar Bass through a Carvin Head and Ampeg 1x15 cab. The drums are an older premier fusion set with a 12" Snare of some sort and paiste cymbals. I used an Oscar Schmidt 335 copy(until I broke the D string) and an older Squier Tele through a Yorkville Soild State combo.(which was a shame, because my pignose tube amp was broken at the time.)
Unfortunately thats not me singing, I'm on lead guitar, and doing the lower harmony on the backup vocals. The drummer does the crazy high harmony.
You're right about playing a lot of parties, although this band doesn't play together much anymore, we still do a few big outdoor things in the summer. We normally play Locomotive's Breath by Tull, and the singer plays a little flute. Never really got into King Crimson much though.
By the way, Politician is from a similar session last year around this time. Johnny B. Goode is live last spring.
I have a bunch of other recordings from this session...maybe i'll upload them somewhere. Does anybody know somewhere besides myspace where I can put them?
Again thanks for the kind words!

Posted : 29/12/2007 7:47 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nice job, you have a good voice or whoever sang did. I agree with hue some of them are a little loose especially the begining of Walk Away and unlike Celt I didn't particulary liked the rhythm for Walk Away, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to covers and something sounded "off" to me, maybe it's in a different key or something but the rhythm isn't exactly James Gang.

other than that great job.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/01/2008 3:57 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

different key for one...the original is in Ab, ours is in G for the singer. Also, the drummer couldn't quite play the original part for the "seems to me" part of the song, so it was changed a little bit rhythmically.

Posted : 02/01/2008 4:04 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

xga,

That explains part of it, I meant to say I liked the lead, that was you right? Nice playing, the rhythm part still sounds off to me, but what the heck it's close enough.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/01/2008 4:12 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Damn, I haven't had that much fun since 1972 :twisted: (or my nephews wedding last week) :D
Let me know if you play near Greenville SC :D Great tunes and great playing!!

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 04/01/2008 1:19 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Posted : 08/01/2008 3:32 pm