Clear all

Waltz - Ferdinando Carulli

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

This is another one from the 50 Great Classical Guitar Solos book, Waltz by Ferdinando Carulli.

I've searched for this on youtube, and well, I can't seem to find anything in C (I think this is in C), and when I do it's completely different! Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, I had a harder time with this than I should have I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOugei6ajEM

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 24/06/2010 1:23 pm
(@alangreen)

It's Carulli's Opus 121 Number 1 - I played it for my Grade 2. Starts in C and the middle bit's in Am.

Nicely done Joe.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/06/2010 3:19 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Alan!

So I'm confused on the grades....how do you know what grade etc, like I can play Tarletons Resurrection, but some of the easier pieces give me the same difficulty as far as reading goes...are the levels technical applications?

Also, what's an Opus? LOL.

Posted : 24/06/2010 4:27 pm
(@alangreen)

Opus - published work. So, my third book of published music would be Opus 3. If there were 10 tunes in there, the first one would be Opus 3, number 1

Determining the Grade of a particular piece is a bit of a black art. I don't always get it, either. Bach's E minor Bourree is Grade 5 at London College of Music, but Grade 6 at Trinity College, for example, and they're supposed to have all got together to agree Grade specifications.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/06/2010 9:09 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

121 Books??? :shock: :shock: Wow

Thanks for the explanation Alan, I appreciate it!

As a side note, after transcribing the tab from the book I got for the past two pieces, I was going through my Classical Guitar Method Book from Hal Leonard, and they were both in there LOL....doh!!

Posted : 25/06/2010 3:11 am
(@alangreen)

Yeah, remember though that in those days the poor impoverished guitar teacher would write his own material for his students rather than buy expensive stuff from a publisher. Among those 121 works is a huge amount of straightforward lesson material which might only be a couple of lines long, as well as the big musical items.

Posted : 25/06/2010 5:25 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Oh okay I see what you are saying, when I think books, I think full fledged books.

I'm actually downloading the Guitar Moment book from that classicalguitarschool.net site, seems to be about my level to practice sight reading.

Thanks again!

Posted : 25/06/2010 5:46 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Joe, you are my hero... Are you able to play that just in a couple of days? I remember you said you want to play that piece before my trip. Now, when I get back, you are playing it like if you were playing it for years!

Awesome :D

Posted : 26/06/2010 9:11 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah this piece only has a couple positions in it, and they are all pretty easy to get to, based off C, Am, etc.

But thanks for watching and commenting!! I've learned a bit more, but I figured I wouldn't spam this place with video LOL, so I'll just keep those in reserve for a while, and play them when I go to Borders Books. I'm starting to pick up the easier sheet music really easily now.

I'm really enjoying a Study in G Major by Dionisio Aguado, has a real good feel and even though it's from the Classical Era has more of a Renaissance feel to it (at least to my ear), that might be one of the next things I post, but I want to really get it down and almost memorize it before I do.

Posted : 26/06/2010 9:39 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dionisio Aguado... I never heard his name. I learn a lot with your posts. Try this link: http://classicguitare.com/viewtopic.php?t=813

It has a method by Dionisio Aguado published in the XIX century! It is in Spanish and French but it is so cool! And there are some scores too.

Posted : 26/06/2010 9:55 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

You find great links!! I'm learning alot too about some of the composers, kind of fascinating stuff when you get into it.

Posted : 26/06/2010 10:11 am