You Shook Me All Night Long (Solo)

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

CLICK HERE

This is a big accomplishment for me. It is the first solo I've ever learned all the way through and can play at speed! This is a blast to play. I'm still working on making it smoother.

I learned the solo from the book "Play guitar with AC/DC". There are six songs in it and it comes with a backing track CD. I used the backing to record this (obviously).

I recorded it using my stock MIM strat and my Digitech RP80 plugged into a Behringer mixer into my computer.

Please, let me know what you think.

Dave

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:04 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Sorry Riff

Page didn't open for me

I'll try again later

And I really wanted to hear it { BIG AC/DC FAN HERE }

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:20 am
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

It's an MP3. Maybe "right click" and "save-as"?

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:23 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it worked for me.
my favorite ACDC solo.
I could never figure it out.
you done good.
you rocked it.

'for those about to rock, we salute you' :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:26 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Must have been my server the page just popped open

Hey that is good mate

You rock

Trev

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:32 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good job Dave. 8) My only comment to improve on would be your timing. Sounds alittle rushed. Try listening to the beat alittle more & you'll be right on. Nice what alittle practice & patience can get you huh? :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:47 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That was pretty good Dave. :D

My only advice is come down on your gain. Angus uses a "crunch" type Marshall tone. If you listen carefully it is slightly broken up, almost clean. Your tone was more like a fuzz with lots of distortion. Angus doesn't play like that.

Sorry, but I am a huge fan of the AC/DC tone. :D

Here is a very good lesson on YouTube that can give you some good tips on getting Angus's tone and techniques. This guy is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-xbUFTPwA

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 04/07/2007 11:45 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Not bad man. You've got all the notes. Just need to work on your timing. Also there is a spot there where he does some definite palm muting.
BTW Wes. That is an awesome link.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 05/07/2007 12:14 am
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, for all the comments.

Man, I know I need to play with more feeling!!!! When I'm listening to music, I can feel it, you know! I just need more practice, so I can become more comfortable with my axe and the feeling can come through my fingers!!!! I know what I want to say, I just need more language lessons so I know how to say it!!!!!

Posted : 05/07/2007 1:12 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Riff Raff

If you are a big AC/DC fan like I am, click on that guy's name at YouTube, he has something like 76 videos, most of them AC/DC. You can see exactly how he is playing the songs. He gives good tips on getting that tone as well.

Now that guy is a REAL AC/DC fan.

You will also see he does a few Free songs. Free came out before AC/DC and had a great guitarist named Paul Kossoff. I have always believed that Paul Kossoff was a big influence on Angus Young, they have very similar styles, especially the fantastic vibrato.

Check out this video of Free and Paul Kossoff. Later Paul Rodgers (vocals) went on to form Bad Company. But listen to the very similar tone Paul uses to AC/DC. Check out his fantastic vibrato. Unfortunately Paul had serious problems with drugs and died at only 25 years old in 1975. One of the greatest Rock blues guitarists ever IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGOVWeD_Mc

And the Classic- Alright Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGyHoBDC7I

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 05/07/2007 1:55 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Wow, I love your tone. And the playing was nice too. Love the bends...

The stock MIM sounds really good. And the RP80 too. Its difficult to believe that you are not using any 'real' amp.

Keep it up man. Looking forward to hear more from you.

Posted : 05/07/2007 10:40 am
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Way to go and ditto on the comments but heck you have all the notes, you have tone so all you need is to keep practising until you feel it.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Posted : 05/07/2007 11:35 am
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, for all the comments. I'm going to practice some more and then I'll post this again when I feel it's better. I'll also try recording it with a mic in front of my tube amp and see if I can nail Angus' tone or at least get closer to it. Wes, thanks for the link. It looks like there are some good lessons there. I also like Free. They have a nice vibe man.

I'm also working on the solo to "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution". I'm stuck on the part where he does the double stops with a bend. I can play it, but it doesn't sound good. I'll keep practicing.

Posted : 05/07/2007 1:15 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Riff,

Nice work, I just got that one down myself and I have to keep playing it so I won't forget it.

The only comment is the same as Dan T it's a little rushed. The opening bend is a held for a full 4 beats and it sounded like there were some notes missing at the end.

Minor stuff good job it's real close.

I know what you mean about it being an accomplishment. I know I few solos myself but that's the first real solo I consider that I can play. I'm working on the Back in Black solos and Hell's Bells solo at the moment.

I was never a big fan of AC/DC but man I love playing their songs.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 05/07/2007 2:46 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good work, IMHO.

I have yet to try to tackle leads like that. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/07/2007 3:28 pm
Page 1 / 2