Clear all

1 minute and 20 seconds with the Tascam DR-1 / HEY Mr. T-Man

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if this should go here in the Studio forum, Live Sound or Hear Here, but the mods can move it if needed.

I just picked up a Tascam DR-1 portable recorder, mainly to record our band practices at church but also to do some noodling. Very simple to use and obviously very portable, though the trade-off is that it's not as functional as a multi-track recorder.

It can take a line-level input (e.g., from a mixer) or can function as a field recorder with the built-in mics.

I did a very quick test recording of Mr. Tambourine Man with the built-ins: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6695274
(sorry for the mess-up at the :30 second mark :oops: )

The DR-1 was about 10 inches from my guitar's sound hole. Recorded in stereo in MP3 format; I then hooked it up to my computer via USB, opened it in Audacity to normalize the volume, and exported the finished MP3. No EQing, no effects; this is just to test the native recording capability the way many people will probably use it: power it on and press record. :D

One thing I did note with another test recording is that it is very susceptible to handling noise during recording; kinda defeats the purpose of having a pocket-sized field recorder if you can't hand-hold it - I'll be getting the accessory kit with a mic stand adapter for church use. Still, for my purposes it seems like it will be a very useful device.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm using the speakers of my laptop but it seems the recording has a very high quality!

Great new toy!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! Yeah it seems pretty good; lots of potential once I figure out all the bells and whistles, and play around with input level and distances. It can also be used with an external dynamic mic, and can provide phantom power to a condenser mic.

I compared it to the similar Olympus and Zoom products; those are good too but Tascam gets better reviews for the internal mics. However, for durability and overall quality, the Sony models are supposed to be a step up (at much higher price points.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote