Clear all

Acoustic pickup into soundcard?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@reeve)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

K a total noob here with amps and mics, so just bear with me.

So hears the deal, I have a new Takamine with an electric pickup built-in, and I also have a pickup that fits right in the sound hole and goes into an amp. These both use the same default guitar cables that you find on everything (I'm not sure the correct diameter - 1/4?). I'd like to be able to have at least one or, if possible, both of these be able to fit into my soundcard so I can record something.

My soundcard doesn't have 1/4 cable jacks, only normal mic jacks, so is there some kind of adapter I can get that will turn the signal from the guitar cable into something the computer can read? I talked to the guy at guitar center, and we talked about preamps and such, but I never really considered just getting some kind of adapter, as the preamps there get rather expensive.

I hope this the right board, and thanks in advance for the help!

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Soundcard sockets are 3.5mm (line-in is stereo, mic is usually mono), instrument cables are 1/4" plugs. To physically connect them you'll need one of these (this one is just for illustration, you have to get the right combination of stereo and mono for each side). Note that they're quite big, sometimes they don't fit if you have something plugged in to the socket next to the one you're using this on.

You also need to consider line level - the mic socket expects a much weaker signal than the line in, but it's still not usually enough for the guitar directly. That'll be why the guy was talking about preamps...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Reeve
I guess that your Takamine has a built in pre-amplifier ( with level and tone controls).
The output level from such a pre-amplifier at full gain level is normally high enough for the line-in port of a PC soundcard.

As Misantrope says, you need an connector adapter between the guitar cable with 1/4" mono male plugs and the soundcards 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo female connector.

There are short adapter cables with a 1/4" mono female connector in one end and a 1/8" stereo male connector in the other end.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Here are the different options as to how you can hook up a guitar to your sound card: http://www.etcetera.co.uk/Support/howto/howtoConnectGuitar.shtml

I use a little multi-effects pedal, the Digitech RP50, to interface my guitar with the soundcard.
This pedal has a stereo output so I get stereo recording as a bonus. :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Yves

DISCLAIMER:
I'm in no way affiliated with Et Cetera.
I just think this particular page shows perfectly well the different options to hook up a guitar to a computer.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote