all in one recorders.

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi fellow guitar players !

I have been saving some cash because i am thinking of getting one of those all in one recorders that gose for about 1k, can some one explain to me how they work.

I know they have a cd burner so you dont need to hook it up to your pc, but how is this better?

Never turn your back on friends.

(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've seen lots of posts about home recording in the Studio forum but have yet to see someone lay out:

The different ways to do home recording

The pros/cons of each method

Equipment with each way above (with approx. price).

I'm waiting on the sideline with you Samer b/c I've been waiting for some more knowledge myself.  While we're sitting here on the curb, wanna bust out some rock tunes?   ;)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, nobody seems to want to touch this one.  Everybody on Summer vacation?

bump.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

*pokes thread* he he I touched it!

But seriously, I'v been looking into this as well. Someone in the know please help us!

ReplyQuote
(@juststringit)

In the past I've used a Fostex VF-16 Digital Multitrack w/o the built in CD burner.  They have now added a burner to the unit, here's a couple reasons why it's better.  With the onboard burner you elimante the need for a PC, which also eliminates the need for expensive mixing software.  When connecting to a computer you are also relying on cables to connect from your recording unit to your PC.  Digital quality signal can be lost in these cables, especially since most people, including myself, don't buy gold-plated expensive cables.  I'm usually buying the one for 6.99 at Radio Shack.  But anyway with the onboard burner you do your final mixdown right on your machine, with virtually no quality loss and you can travel with it much easier and burn CD's on the go without the need to connect to a computer.  The only advantage the PC mixing has is that's it's much easier to navigate on a computer screen than the small LCD screen found on most Recording Units.  Hope this has helped somewhat.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd just like to clear one point up ybout digital recording. The loss is in the error correction software and not in the digital transmission. Unlike analogue, digital loses no information on the cable - otherwise the digital software registers a transmission error and demands a repetition of that block. Repeated errors will cause the transfer to be aborted.
Any loss is caused by do-gooders who insist that every pop and crackle is an error and not just atmospherics - this is why CDs sound sterile against quality analogue mastering (try recording on 1/4" tape through a Revox B77 and see what I mean).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@strunglikeahorse)
Eminent Member

Okay, my activity around these parts has been limited (driving stuff...3rd test next week *sigh*, work, music in general) so I haven't had much of a chance to write up anything but I will get a little something together for all of you Re: Home Recording, over the weekend. So sit tight, and I promise I'll get it done :D

- Paul

Who sucked out all my mids?!

http://www.soundclick.com/chimpspanner

ReplyQuote
(@tishidad)

Well all I use to record is my Digitech Rpx 400 which came with Cakewalk Pro Tracks SW. I use a sure SM 57 mic. I have a fairly new (1.8 GHz) PC with CD burner. The Digitech also has a rudimentary Drum Machine with 30 patterns but it is not programmable.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Sammer,

Your assumption is that the all-in-one recorders are better than a modest PC designed for recording, and I'm not so sure this is a corect assumptoin. There are certianly advantages to having an all-in-one recorder for the sheer portability of it. However, if you are somewhat computer savy, and have a bit of electronics experience, you can build yourself a computer with a great deal more potential than most all-in-one recorders.

I recently found myself facing the same delema; I too, saved up some money, had need for a more contemporary way of tracking, mixing and mastering and was considering spending the money on a digital audio workstation. However, I noticed that even the higher priced stations (between $1,800 and $2,500) had diskdrive capacities of between 20 and 40 gig. In addition, the garphical interfaces seem less than optimal. So I spoke with a few people and decided that I would build a PC just for tracking, mixing and mastering. Now, I spent a coupple more bucks than a grand (app. $1,750.00) but some may say that my system is a bit overkill—2.4 gig procesor,  120 gig Westerndigital HD with 8 meg buffer, 1 gig ram, LED monitor, Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum Ex—I wouldn't disagree. But, I'm very satisfied with my decision mostly because my limitations are largely based on my sofware—and my lack of talent. Of course, I built it myself so it didn't cost as much as it would have. But the point is, speak with as many people as you can, undersatnd that one can always upgrade a PC (i.e. you needn't go overboard like I did) and weigh the options.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Petrarca;

What did you use for mic pre-amp?  Can you record more than one channel at a time?

That's always been my situation.  I want to record our mini-jams, and then clean them up, so I need 4+ inputs, or a mix-board, and a playback system...

The all-in-one systems seem to handle this better.

I'm still waiting for Horse to write the article.  No pressure... :D

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Laz,

At this point in time, my best mic is a Sure SM57, with no pre-amp other than the soundcard's device manager. Its production is very good for a moderately priced mic, but my next purchase is going to be condenser mic of some sort—possibly with a tube pre-amp. Decisions, decisions; I haven't resolved how much I should spend.

Answer to next question: With the setup I currently have, I'm still not entirely certain if the soundcards breakout box can record 4+ channels simultaneously, but I do believe the integral components exist as is and when I figure it out I'll be happy to let you know.

Maybe Horse will dispel the notion altogether that my current setup can handle 4+ channels simultaneously, and my next purchase will be a condenser mic and a new soundcard.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. :-[

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

sammer. All  all in one recorders work similar but not the same. Look for one with a hard drive and not minidisc or something thst compresses the signal ie: mp3. Roland makes some good ones. Tascam as well. The benefits? well you get to mix using real faders and there's no delay when you apply changes to effects. Its portable. Rent one for a few days before you decide to buy.

Laz: Look into one of m-audio's d-man line of sound cards w/breakout boxes. They come with 4in/4out up to 10 in/ 10 out possibly more. If you use it in conjuction w/ a decent mixer you're gonna love em.

http://midiman.com/

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

that delta 1010 says it comes with a digital mixer included in the software, sounds good to me!  I'm loving this new forum I found.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@redstrat)
Eminent Member

BOSS BR 1600,8 HOOKUPS AT ONCE FOR YOUR BAND TO RECORD LIVE ETC.I'M NOT MUCH OF A COMPUTER GEEK.THIS IS A GREAT RECORDER.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO JUST RECORD MY YAMAHA DGX 500 KEYBOARD INTO THIS JUST USING THE STUFF IN MY KEYBOARD.NOT TALKING ABOUT MIDI.JUST HOOKING UP THE WAY YOU DO A GUITAR.I WANT TO USE THE RHTYMS ETC. THATS IN MY KEYBOARD.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2