Clear all

Amps for Recording Guitar

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

IMHO, tube amps sound great when cranked. But there's no way I can crank my Marshall JTM 45 on a regular basis or for long sessions when recording at home. Plus, my amp's downstairs, while my computer and peripherals are all upstairs.

I'm looking into getting amp farm or a similar product, but I've always preferred mic'ing amps than recording guitar DI'd. Even if I had an amp simulator, I'd definitely still want to record 'live' a fair bit. Is it worth me looking into small amps for this purpose? If so, are therre any specific amps that anyone has found particularly good for recording at low volumes? I don't have enough space to build/buy an amp isolation cabinet, so that's completely out of the question for the foreseeable future.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How about the Fender Princeton Recording Amp?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2152000000

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I've been using the coat closet as an isolation chamber. It's full of special sound dampening materials that prevent any odd reflections or reverberations.... Brings my Tweed Deluxe down to an acceptable level in the house - that's only an 18w. amp, but I can crank it....

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

IMHO, tube amps sound great when cranked. But there's no way I can crank my Marshall JTM 45 on a regular basis or for long sessions when recording at home. Plus, my amp's downstairs, while my computer and peripherals are all upstairs.

Solution #1 Buy an attenuator that matches your highest powered amp and use it to tame the roar of all of them. I routinely run an attenuator on any of my 6 amps to keep the volume level down and peace in the family. Even the 5 watt EVJ gets throttled back.
I'm looking into getting amp farm or a similar product, but I've always preferred mic'ing amps than recording guitar DI'd. Even if I had an amp simulator, I'd definitely still want to record 'live' a fair bit. Is it worth me looking into small amps for this purpose? If so, are therre any specific amps that anyone has found particularly good for recording at low volumes? I don't have enough space to build/buy an amp isolation cabinet, so that's completely out of the question for the foreseeable future.

Amp sims are ok, but the problem is that quite often they're TOO hi-fidelity, and you wind up getting a sound that requires extensive EQ to fit in a mix, especially when looking for crunchy or hi gain sounds. It depends on what sound you're looking for. If you're not careful you wind up with "fizzy" or "sterile."

I usually find it's easier to work with a track from a mic'd amp simply because I've taken time to place the mic to get the sound I want. Then the track simply drops in place with little or no EQ changes. You can get some pretty radical changes in the sound just by shifting the mic a small amount.

The other thing to remember is that there's no "all purpose" recording amp. Each amp has its distinctive sound, and you'll look to that amp when you want its flavor in the mix. You just aren't going to get a Vox to sound like a Fender or a Marshall or a JC-120 or . . .

So, yes it's worth getting small amps to record with, if you can or want to afford it. Just remember that even a 5 watt amp with an efficient speaker can be more than loud enough to annoy the neighbors.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

unfortunately, I don't have a spare grand kicking around for that Fender. And if I did, it would probs go on better monitors, a better interface, a new computer, more pedals or a combination of the above.

coat closet isolation chamber, hmm...... (scrybe checks size of her closet).....that could work, but only with small amps, there's no way my marshall and sound-proofing/deadening material would both fit....

attenuators are utterly new to me, so I'll def have to look into that one, moonrider.

I've decided to keep an eye out for any bargains, and research this more in the meantime.....I want more tonal variation than my current set-up permits over the long-term, but I'm not sure what is the best method to achieve this by.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

keep your eye out for older amps. I mean older, from the 50's. they usually have one speaker and low enough wattage that you can crank it. they overdrive easily.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

a very good point there dogbite, especially as I'm planning on keeping a closer eye on pawn shops, second hand stores and the like for any cheap-but-decent guitars I might be able to mod. props. 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

Currently I'm using a small 30W Kuston Arrow 16 amp. It's a smashing little practice amp for the money I paid (£90 - not sure what that is in dollors) which is loud enough for home practice and ideal for recording, all though I'm using a mic direct into the line-in on the computer to recordings the results are pritty good considering.

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

I may be a bit late on this one, but Amp sims are not that great. I will be honest I have a Morley JD-10 (made way back) and I use it straight into my MOTU and I can get good sounds out of it. However I feel that part ofa guitar/amps sound is the speaker. I'd suggest finding a low wattage amp maybe a 10-30W amp those I love. When I record I put 1 SM57 in front of the cab about 1" away. I put an Audio technica LD condensor about 4' away in line with the speaker, and 1 MXL LD Condensor in the closet beside my amp about head high. So I have 3 tracks for one guitar part. But the layering and different tones is amazing. The closet brings out the low end "chug" as I saw someone use recently, the 57 catches the thickness adn the audio technica adds great mid/highs.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

cheers leear, you're not late at all. I'm not keen on amp sims myself, I'm just trying to find the best/most flexible way of working over the short- mid-term (i.e. before I own a mansion, however long away that is, lol). actually, what I might do is pick up some small tube amps and then make different cabs I can put the tubes amps through for variation.

still not sure, but its good to get the discussion started on this now, rather than wait til I have some money burning a hole in my pocket (yup, that JB signature strat is still calling me....)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote