Clear all

Another Interface?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As some may have seen n another thread, I've got the ways of Avid's Eleven Rack. I've got a couple pieces of gear that don't really give out a great line-level signal and are quite week. You know how it goes, you can only boost a week signal so much before it sounds aweful.

Do, I thing I need to get a small USB interface with 4-8 mono channels (2-4 stereo - duh), each able to take a standard instrument cable or line level cable and boost the signal. I need two channels for my very week electronic drum kit and one channel for the bass.

This is so that multiple people could jamd and be recorded at the same time through the same software.

I'd love to hear suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Roy,

Have you experimented with running the drums in via the midi inputs on the back of the rack and using it to trigger drum sound software on the computer instead of using its audio output? I've got several pieces of software that came with drum sounds that can be triggered by my kit, but I imagine there would be some around for little or no cost.

I've not had your signal issues with my kit so I can either use it to trigger sounds in the Garritan Aria player, Garageband ( or whatever) or I can run the kit's own audio in through the line inputs on the back. Both work OK. But using it via midi frees up the line inputs for something else, like a keyboard. I guess it can be a squeeze if you want to record a bunch of stuff at the same time through it.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey Chris, thanks for the response.

I have indeed tried the drums into the 11R using MIDI. It was the first thing I tried to do with the drums. Unfortunately, my drums don't play well with others as fas as MIDI is concerned. I read lots of people struggling with the same kit. In the end, the "fix" was very time consuming and only worked for one kit in the PC. Worse than that, the whole kit didn't even sound well together. I ditched it.

In the meantime, my son did get his heavy handed self behind the skins and bashed his way close to my red-line instantly. I was using the standard analog audio connections at the time. After this, I decided to leave it at that. The kit does sound better in stereo, so it will stay there, in both line-ins, until such a time comes when the three of us are here together and want to record. When that happens, I'll unplug one of his and change him to a Mono signal, my friend on bass will take the other mono signal and I'll go straight into the front using the Guitar In.

The positive bit of all this is that the MIDI and my 12+ year old Warehouse Club Casio Keyboards work together famously.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The kit does sound better in stereo, so it will stay there, in both line-ins, until such a time comes when the three of us are here together and want to record. When that happens, I'll unplug one of his and change him to a Mono signal, my friend on bass will take the other mono signal and I'll go straight into the front using the Guitar In.

The positive bit of all this is that the MIDI and my 12+ year old Warehouse Club Casio Keyboards work together famously.

Good to hear that you've got some working alternatives going Roy.

After reading your post I dug out the Yamaha Audiogram6 that I used before getting the Eleven rack, just to see if I could use them together in some way if I ever needed extra inputs. It has two mic/instrument mono inputs and two other line-in stereo pairs.

I seem to recall being able to get them working together when I first got the rack. I probably just ran a single processed guitar output from the rack into the Audiogram OK when I first got it. But, alas, the knowledge of exactly what I did and how has fled...! :( It does seem that a recent upgrade to my Mac OS has screwed with the Audiogram, which it now doesn't want to know, even when the Eleven is unplugged. All it wants to see is one lousy mono from it. Grrr... what fun audio is...

Internet opinions are divided (what a surprise!! :roll: ) as to whether the Audiogram will work successfully with Snow Leopard anyway, and also what is required to successfully run two interfaces together in some way. It seems that if you have buckets of luck, persistence, the perfect combination of gear and drivers, and make sacrifices to all the right gods then it can work... on some days...

Fortunately, I don't need to run more inputs concurrently than the Eleven can already handle, so it's largely academic.

I'd still like to know more though... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My replacement-replacement guitar has a bit of software that came with it called Guitar Rig. It works decent enough inside of Protools, quite shockingly. It set itself up as an effect, not a VI. The GR software is a LE and does not have an acoustic sim from what I saw in my initial inspection. I'll look again. It's always nice when products from different companies work together. I wasn't going to bust myself over getting it up and running, but I did want it if I could have it. I;ve got the Piezo wounding just right on an amp of mine, but would like an acoustic sim in my digital chain somewhere.

Roy

ReplyQuote