Clear all

audacity and soundclick problems

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i have a new laptop, an aspire 6530, and I downloaded the newest audacity, 1.3 beta, along with lame to export to mp3. every time i record, there's a lot more background noise than with my old laptop, which recorded fairly clearly, although there was a little buzz. then, when i try to upload my recordings onto soundclick, the hi-fi version sounds warbly, the pitch and speed tend to dip at random, and the whole thing sounds like it's underwater. what should i do? get the old audacity?

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think the first thing I'd try is download the older version of Audacity & see if that fixes the problem. I have the 1.2.6 "older" version, and it works fine. According to their site, you can have both the older & newer versions of Audacity installed on the same machine, so you could do a comparison.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Jason,
one possibility is this - and I am assuming that you are recording via an external microphone and not the built-in one. If so, then go into your Audio Settings and check that you are in fact using the external microphone and not the built-in microphone. Settings - Control Panel - Sound and Audio Settings - Audio. Have a look at the Sound Recording Option and make sure it's the external microphone. Audacity also has a selection for this (center top). Unfortunately I don't have a laptop so I can't tell you exactly how it works, but I've had the same problem in the past as well.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i thought it was that, even redownloaded the drivers for my mobile pre usb preamp, but i'm getting the same warbly junk. maybe it's soundclick, or maybe it something else. i'm giving up for tonight, though.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Have to you tried exporting the recorded Audacity song to a WAV (or MP3) file and playing it? If that works, then you can eliminate Audacity as the problem. Stupid question - you don't by any chance have a webcam connected to your laptop?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i do have a webcam. a crystal eye webcam that i can't figure out how to make movies with. i also export mp3 files before uploading to soundclick. they usually sound fine on my computer, but then when i upload them, they become junk.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi Jason,

here is link to assist with Crystal Eye: http://www.fixya.com/support/t291763-acer_crystal_eye_webcam Looks like a few people have problems with it.

As for the sound problem, if you can record ok and the resulting mp3/wav file sounds fine, then your setup is ok. As for uploading to Soundclick, I have no experience.

The reason why I asked about the webcam was the following - when I run my webcam (not very often these days), the Sound Recording Device is automatically changed to the web camera microphone (just checked this now). I spent half a day once figuring out why my recordings all sounded completely washed out even though I spoke right into the external microphone, only to discover that all my recordings were done via the web camera mic which was of course 20-30 cms away (and of very poor quality as well).

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I downloaded the newest audacity, 1.3 beta, along with lame to export to mp3.

Where did you find the lame downlad for mp3's? When I try to download from the link on Audacity's site, I get an error. It says "forbidden" or somethig like that. I'd like to use Audacity to make mp3's but I need to find a reliable download likk that works.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Here is one I found - http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/

The other option is to download CDex from here - http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download - and use the lame_enc.dll file that comes with it.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Jason

If the problem is with SoundClick then go to your Band Administration Main Menu.

Under the Songs heading there is a link that says:

» my hifi mp3 plays too slow or too fast, or it plays with a crackling distortion

There is information there on proper bitrate and suggestions on how to resolve the problem.

Hope This Helps

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@huricane)
Eminent Member

After uploading to soundclick, have you downloaded it and then played the downloaded file on the laptop? If not not, this test will determine if it is the soundclick player (and most likely a bitrate problem) or if the file transmission is messing up.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

celt got it. thanks. i was converting at the wrong bit rate.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Good to hear you sorted it out :)

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Here is one I found - http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/

The other option is to download CDex from here - http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download - and use the lame_enc.dll file that comes with it.

The first link was the one that wasn't working for me. I tried the second; we'll see how that does.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote