Clear all

Audio Comparisons

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, here's a test of the new system I've got. It's' just a short test and my playing isn't that great because I was more worried about testing this stuff and getting good results. I didn't do ANY noise reduction on these new ones which is awesome because the air conditioner was going and making noise.

Mic: Samson C02 Condenser (just one, hadn't used the pair yet)
Mix: Alesis iMultiMix8 USB

NOTE: Box.net adds some sort of buzz to the MP3 so you have to download it to get it to sound better.

Here is the file with the old mic and setup:
http://www.box.net/shared/ip8rrike8k

Here is the original file with the NEW setup:
http://www.box.net/shared/bt8n9s3je8

Here is the same file edited and processed with Sony Soundforge 10 and iZotope Audio Mastering Software:
http://www.box.net/shared/gl8yktky81

I should also say that I didn't record these to my computer, I recorded them directly to the iPod then copied them over from there. You can record it directly to the memo section and when you open iTunes you can copy them to your library, or you can use the iPod as a disk and just go to the recordings folder and copy them.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Much better!
Play with your mic placements. Mic placement is the ultimate EQ ;)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

I'm going to use the 2nd mic in that pack along with it here in the next couple days, and see where that all gets me. I just had that mic pointing just over the soundhole and almost straight infront of the guitar, not optimial I know, but I just wanted a really quick test.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like the results. and indeed, mic placement is everything.
the mastering sounds good. izotope, eh? I am saving for that.
dang. I may have to order that now instead of waiting.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, once everyone gets up and going and I get some time I'll be breaking out the other mic stand and the other mic, and really work with the placement of things.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks, once everyone gets up and going and I get some time I'll be breaking out the other mic stand and the other mic, and really work with the placement of things.

Keep a measuring tape handy when using multiple mikes. Make sure they're both the same distance away from the source, or use the 3:1 rule.
3:1 Rule of Microphone Placement
When using two microphones to record a source, normally you will get the best results by placing the second mic three times the distance from the first mic that the first mic is from the source. Confusing? An example: If the first mic is 1 foot from a source, the second mic should be placed 3 feet from the second mic. Using the 3:1 Rule will minimize phase problems created by the time delay between mics.

This rule originated when engineers were micing multiple sources in the same vicinity. The same principle applies. If you are recording two different sources of sound, their respective microphones should be at least three times further apart than they are close to their respective sources. Keep in mind that rules are meant to be broken; you may prefer the sound created by ignoring the 3:1 Rule - experiment and let your ears be your guide!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!! I'll have to do that, I've never heard that before!

By any chance would anyone know why I'm getting a buzzing noise when I plug these mics in and turn the gain up a bit? I can get it to where it doesn't sound, but I need to turn stuff down, maybe a pre-amp on top of the mixer would be good.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

By any chance would anyone know why I'm getting a buzzing noise when I plug these mics in and turn the gain up a bit?
60 cycle, or something else?

Maybe a bad ground, or bad shield on one of the XLR cables?
Or perhaps some of the gear is too close to your computer's monitor or power supply.
Is the mixer being powered from the same circuit as the computer? Maybe a ground loop?
Is there anything else running nearby that produces electrical interference? Flourtescent light? Fish tank pump? TV? Power tools?

Or maybe it's aliens. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think it's the mics. I plugged in another mic and I didn't get the buzz. Both mics in the pack and tried two different cables, I didn't record anything to a computer, so it wasn't even nearby I was just testing some settings on the board.

Going to try and take them back tomorrow and replace them. I really like these mics so I want to see if another pair will have the same issue.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wasn't the mics, it was the mixer itself. I got it worked out with the folks at sam ash, they had another one, we tested both, and now I'm set. Got the mixer home, tested it for buzzing, and no buzzing. Sweet!

ReplyQuote