Clear all

Beginners Equipment

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@johnny_n)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone.
I just found this site and all of a sudden it has ruined my work-day ;) Can't stop reading...Ah well..

My question: (I'm not sure if its the right forum or anything, but feel free to yell at me if it is)

I'm a fairly new guitar player. Been playing for little over a year now and enyoing it a lot. Music has helped me in more ways I could imagine.
I play mostly cover songs from rock bands and artists but now I wanted to try and create a song myself.
I kinda have the lyrics down and everything... Anyways... I want to record this yeah, and all I have is a guitar, basicly - and a little amp.

I'm looking for some gear so that I can record with an "OK" sound and listen to it later. This will just be a "studio" (if you can call it that) in my little appartment.

Could you give me some pointers, maybe show me some specific items that I need? Including microphone and all that kind of stuff... Any help would be very very help full... Oh, and I don't have a lot of money so the prices can't be to high up there

Thanks again, and thanks for messing up my monday :P

Cheers

/Jon

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

do you want to record? if so, you can do that affordably by plugging into your sound cartd and downloading Audacity. Audacity is a free recording software. that's how I started.
microphone. depends what you want to do.. voice? or miking an amp?

a standard mike for studios is a Shure SM57. great for miking instruments and amps. some have said it is good for voice...that is not my experience. the good thing about an SM57 is that it is a dynamic mike; it needs no phantom power. they sell in the 90$ range. I found one on ebay for 75$.

next you may want a mixer. those are handy. they supply phantom power to mikes that need them. like a condenser mike. I would suggest having one of those. between 70 and 100 you can get a nice wide diaphram condenser. great for voice and instruments.

http://www.tweakheadz.com

for more info than you could need.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@johnny_n)
Topic starter  

I am planing to use the mic for voice recording...
I'm not sure how my voice sounds like, but nothing sounds good in my mic ;)

Thanks a lot for the info though ;) I'll read up on the sight

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

If all you're doing is recording yourself so that you can listen to yourself, you can get away with the little computer microphones that come with a lot of computers. I have one that sits on top of my monitor and I did my first couple of recordings using it. I used a freeware audio recorder and did a two track mixdown using iMovie. Cumbersome, clunky and crude, but doable....

Sound quality is nothing to brag about, but it's enough to hear yourself and do "constructive self-criticism", and to start getting a handle on the basics of recording. And given that Audacity is free, if you have a mic like this handy you may be able to get started for no $$.

I started out this way, and then after a while got a jones for a better mic and the realized that I needed a better I/O device to get a decent mic preamp. And I'm still way low down on the learning curve. But getting started really can be cheap and easy.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny_n)
Topic starter  

Thank you.

I was thinking about buying myself a nice mic so that the sound improves a little bit from my current computer mic which isn't very good.
Also think I'll buy a mixer and/or test out A-city.

Thanks for you replies

ReplyQuote