Notifications
Clear all

Better Mix

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@seanc3)
Topic starter  

Alright , so I have been recording for a long time and I'm all self taught and I've come a long way , but I'm really looking to try to get a better LOUDER mix and a bigger overall sound of all the instruments. I'm using Cubase 5 to record ,guitar rig 5 for guitar and bass, and Superior Drummer for drums. I usually Record 3 rhythm tracks and pan them left, right, and center and EQ the guitars and bass then EQ the whole mix to try to get it louder.

Here's a link to a song I've recently recorded.

http://soundcloud.com/seanc33/southern-song-5

If anyone has any suggestions for anything they hear in the mix that could be better please let me know. Tear it apart! anything from Drums to guitar tone to overall mix. I'd appreciate any input I can get!

Thanks

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I think your drums need a little more low end kick to them. Until the bass kicked in, there was no low end.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@seanc3)
Topic starter  

I think your drums need a little more low end kick to them. Until the bass kicked in, there was no low end.

You have any suggestions on how to do that or any presets?

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I moved this to In The Studio, as that is where we've been discussing mix-down techniques.

For louder and leveling, you're going to need compression...

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I moved this to In The Studio, as that is where we've been discussing mix-down techniques.

For louder and leveling, you're going to need compression...

I'm gonna quote my FB buddy Tim Gilles (a.k.a. Slipperman), who I've had some entertaining and VERY educational chats with, in regards to compression and brick wall limiting.

"If everything's loud, nothing's loudER."

Dynamics are king. If you want those guitars to sound and feel like a crushing wall of brutality when they come in, then they need to be loudER. Which means before and after needs to be QUIETer.

Compression/limiting reduces dynamics and it's kinda like reverb or salt. Once you hit the point of "too much" you've ruined a good recipe. Compression/limiting to raise the overall volume level should be used VERY sparingly by who ever is mixing the track. Preferably not at all. It's best left to mastering engineers.

To the OP: Go here, laugh and learn: Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars Thread From Hell

BTW - Nothing beats the sound of a mic stuffed in front of a cab for recording. No sim in the world can touch it.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote