Skip to content
Capture and playbac...

Notifications
Clear all

Capture and playback of my bass thru line-in....

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@theosd)
Topic starter  

Ok, its all set up - my bass into my eq d.i. box into my line in with a 1/4" to headphone socket adapter. My pc is very new using a VIA high def audio (uaa) sound card with 1gig of ram and dual core processor running windows XP SP2. The windows sound recorder picks up my bass and plays it back to me, so does audacity. Why won't it play it back to me in real-time? My old pc did, and that was a shit-heap! Ive fiddled endlessly with audio options, drivers n settings and stuff and I dont know!! I read that i need a specific kind of soundcard to be able to hear my playing back in real time, but I assume that mine's capable enough - if I could do it with a now almost 7 year old one, why not this brand spanking new one??

I'm stuck! Please Help! Thanks in advance...

T

:)

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

What I understand is that you hear the direct playback sound delayed compared to what you hear directly from the bass ?
It must has to do with the soundcard and/or the windows sound drivers.

I have not this direct playback delay problem on my XP SP2 PC with low cost soundcards, probably similar to your old PC.
N.B. The normal delay/latency problem comes when you playback one track och record a new track, then the recorded track could be delayed compared to the first track.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@theosd)
Topic starter  

No I don't hear anything unless I use audacity and choose the option to playback what i'm hearing, which is considerably delayed. I don't know how to find out about which drivers would work but As I've spent all this money on a new pc im not gonna want to buy another soundcard.... google searches don't help either... Can anyone else help?

ReplyQuote
(@theosd)
Topic starter  

Can no one else help?? :(

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

If you're getting a lot of latency, try ASIO4ALL. I've heard good things about it, although I haven't used it myself (kind of difficult since I don't use Windows). Also check out this thread about it at the Audacity forums:

http://audacityteam.org/forum/thread/2045

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote