Notifications
Clear all

Choosing an effects processor

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hoopdaddy6)
Topic starter  

I can't decide between a used Digitech RP 2000 for $100, or a used BOSS GT-6 for $150.

I've used the cheaper low-end digitech processors before, and like the programming interface, but I get the impression the BOSS is a better quality processor. I've never used a BOSS before.

I like a nice variety of sounds. My main playing style is Drop-D death metal. I play a Schecter Damien6FR with dual EMGs and a Floyd Rose.

Also, I'm an intermediate guitar player. It's just a hobby for now, I'm not doing any live shows or playing in a band.

Your input is appreciated.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I've owned a few Digitech products and they've never satisfied me. Always a bit cheap looking and sounding. There was a time when Digitech made some great, quality delay effects. The last one I owned though, was noisy as heck. Even though they are likely made in the same factory, Boss have always seemed to have better quality products.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

While I think Digi's most recent stuff has improved tremendously (the RP1000 is phenomenal), in this case I'd go with the Boss too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

BOSS GT6 is a good solid unit, with a lot of versatility and flexibility, COSM modelling, and tough professional quality.

The sounds are good too. Make sure you get the Owner's Manual. They are not easy to figure out, and rather complex.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Make sure you get the Owner's Manual. They are not easy to figure out, and rather complex.
The owner's manual for the GT-6 stinks on ice, only slightly less than not having one at all.

I had a 6 before getting a 10. A weird volume level problem I had that went away by doing a factory re-set was the only real issue I had with the 6. I cannot remember what the tonal quality differences were between the two. I do know that many, many people do not upgrade their boss units due to not wanting to re-construct their user patches. If they like their user patches that much, it must be an OK system to say the least.

I've never used or tried the digitech, so I can't rightfully vote.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote