condencer mic, audio interface

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@johnnywhiteshoes)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey all at GN,
i had my bday on 4th sep and i am starting up a home recording studio, my parents got me a condencer mic (a small sony one, not professional), anyway i tested it on my family laptop and it worked really well, i finally got my computer in my room working and i tested the mic using that computer. i hav noticed that the signal and sound that goes into the mic is very weak and not as good as the laptops quality. is this due to the soundcard? (my computer is old and the laptop is brand new), if so im thinking of getting a behringer firewire audio interface (good and cheap).
should i proceed with the behringer FAI?

"If you give a man a Les Paul guitar, he doesn't become Eric Clapton. If you give a man an amp and a synthesizer, he doesn't become whoever. He doesn't become us." - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

i hav noticed that the signal and sound that goes into the mic is very weak and not as good as the laptops quality.

A condenser mic typically needs "phantom power" to bring the signal up to a usable level. I can't recommend the Behringer as I don't know anything about it, but make sure whatever PC interface you buy will provide phantom power to a microphone. Many do, but some don't.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@johnnywhiteshoes)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the help, sorry but i forgot to add:
- this condencer mic doesnt require phantom power (for some reason) like the behringer ones (but later on i will buy a behringer c-1).
right now im saving for a behringer mixer and im looking at a eurorack ub1002 and a ub802 on ebay.com.au, but i still wondering about the behringer FAI, anymore help is appreciated

"If you give a man a Les Paul guitar, he doesn't become Eric Clapton. If you give a man an amp and a synthesizer, he doesn't become whoever. He doesn't become us." - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Johnny,

Your mic most probably has an onboard battery (hence no need for phantom pwr).

I've recently been through the same situation as you..

recording into a fairly new laptop gave me nice clean results, but recording into my old pc (WIN98/P3/533Mhz/385MbRAM) was basically just noise pollution.

I upgraded the sound interface on the old box to a M-Audio Delta 44 and the results so far have been crystal clear and very impressive.
I only record 1 track at a time and use minimal VST's but the old machine is dealing with it really well.

So, IMHO i think an upgraded sound interface will help you.. as long as your computer is not an absolute piece of junk. (although i've never used Behringer's firewire interface, so i can't recommend that you do or don't get it)

Happy birthday BTW. hope you like the 2c i gave you as a pressie :wink:

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote