Skip to content
Digital Stand-Alone...

Notifications
Clear all

Digital Stand-Alone Recording Device Recommendations?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Although I have some minimalistic capabilities to record on the computer, I just can't get my music setup and my computer into the same room. So I end up not recording anything. I think it would work much better if I get a small digital recording device that I can keep with my amp, guitar, Roland PMA-5 etc.

Main objective is just to hear myself in order to improve my playing; so high quality is not required. Also, I want random access to each recording, and ability to archive on the computer (ie. serial access with a tape is too cumbersome).

Taking a quick look at MF and Zzounds, I see Zoom MRS-8, Zoom MRS-4, Fostex MR-8 and a Korg box (forget the model number). Any recommendations on one versus the other? I would like to stay under $250. Eventually, if I want to make recordings that are meant for other people to hear, I plan to get a good computer based setup including maybe a firewire interface, so I just need enough features to fulfill my current need.

Thanks in advance.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@morot)
Eminent Member

A simple flash based mp3-player with line-in should do the trick and will cost you way below 250$ I can't think of any right now but I know they exist.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

vink,

I have the Zoom PS-04. You can buy them for around $179 - used ones run slightly less on eBay. It's a good little unit. It's compact, full featured and the recording quality is good. The only drawback is that some of features are tedious to get at because the unit is so compact. That said, for basic recording, it is really simple to use. If you want to learn more about this or some of the other Zoom products there is a really good user community at:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/index.php

Good Luck,

Steve

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Steve,

I have couple of quick questions regarding the PS04 (it's not very clear from the description on the zZounds website, at least).
- What kind of inputs does it have ? (XLR, guitar, stereo?)
- Does it have a USB (2.0) connection for data transfer?
- I saw some mention of a software for windows95. Does the software work fine with XP? And it the output format WAV?
- Does it have both a line level and a headphone output?

Thanks!

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Vink,

I'll do my best to answer your questions, but would also recommend the Zoom site: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1705&brandID=4 . You can download the manual from there.

Also, check the Harmony Central reviews database: http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/ZOOM/PS_04-01.html

1. Inputs - One 1/4" for guitar and mic along with one mini-jack line in. There is a built in mic, but otherwise you need to record vocals separately from the guitar.
2. No USB. This is a slight drawback. The unit uses a smartmedia card. Max size is 128MB. Use a card reader and translation software (free) to get it on your PC. This hasn't been an issue for me.
3. The software you saw was third party. Zoom does not have their own software as everything is self contained.
4. Yes. 1/4" output and mini-plug headphone jack.

At roughly 5"x3" it certainly is a Palmtop Studio. Like I said before, I surely under-utilize it both in terms of amount of use and what I use it for. I've never owned any other non-computer based multi-track recorder, so I don't have a point of comparison, but I do like the little bugger.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The PS-04 makes a fine little musical sketch pad, but it's very compactness leads to some covienience issues. The MRS-4 and 8 seem to be a bit better for usability by being larger with more buttons. I find the PS-04 a great practice tool. I record backing tracks to play along to or transfer songs that I want to learn on to it, I then have a Walkman sized box I can carry around to practice anywhere I want to go.
For recording, I generally record individual tracks onto the PS-04 then transfer them to the computer for mixing. The Smartmedia flash cards are limited to 128MB which really limits you to working on a few songs at a time or 1 if there are many tracks involved.
If I was buying a real recorder, I would look at one of the hard disk based recorders that give you something like 40GB of space and more intuitive controls, like the Fostex MR-8HD or the Tascam DP-01fx or the DP-01 if I didn't need an XLR input (which I have seen for $299 on sale at GC around the 1st of the year.)

ReplyQuote