Clear all

Drum micing with constraints

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, I know this isn't guitar related, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Here's the scenario...

We are practicing in a practice studio tonight and would like to record our entire practice, or at the very least, record some drum tracks to complete our demos. The equipment we have is...

• Shure PG58 mic (will be used for vocals)

• Shure SM57 mic

• Shure SM58 mic

• Behringer 12 track mixer (going out to 2 powered PA speakers)

• Alesis 8 track mixer

• Bass amp w/ direct out into mixer

• 2 guitar amps (at least 1 will need to be mic'ed, probably both)

• 1 extra (either SM57 or 58) mic
  • It looks like recording live will not be possible, since I need 3 mics for vox and 2 guitars and that only leaves 1 for drums. So assuming I just want to record the drums and I have the mics listed above, does anyone have any pointer on which mics to use where? I've never mic'ed a drum kit before. I know they have better mics for this purpose, but we have to work within our constraints.

Edit: oh, yea and we're practicing tonight, so I'll give bonus points for quick answers :D

Bass player for Undercover

(@danlasley)
    Noble Member

Given the time constraints, I'd just hang a mic a couple feet over the drum kit, closer to the hihat. That will pick up most everything except the kick, and will be fairly balanced. If there is a spare mic, drop it on the pillow inside the kick.

Everyone has to keep their volume reasonable, or you'll just get mush. Esp the bass, which will bleed into every open mic in the room.

As for recording just the drums, that's beyond me, as you'll need methods for playback etc. I think we have a lesson on miking the drums somewhere... here it is:
    https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/miking-the-drums/

ReplyQuote
    (@jwmartin)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

Thanks for the info, Laz. As far as playback while recording just the drums, we should have that covered w/ headphones and Tape In (just like I do at home w/ guitar or bass).

We may give the overhead mic a shot, we'll just have to see how the room is setup. Our main focus tonight is practicing, since we have a couple of new songs to learn. I'm just anxious to record the drums because we want to get some music up on our site. Our demos now are just using Addictive Drums.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
    (@moonrider)
    Noble Member

OK, I know this isn't guitar related, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Here's the scenario...

We are practicing in a practice studio tonight and would like to record our entire practice, or at the very least, record some drum tracks to complete our demos. The equipment we have is...

• Shure PG58 mic (will be used for vocals)

• Shure SM57 mic

• Shure SM58 mic

• Behringer 12 track mixer (going out to 2 powered PA speakers)

• Alesis 8 track mixer

• Bass amp w/ direct out into mixer

• 2 guitar amps (at least 1 will need to be mic'ed, probably both)

• 1 extra (either SM57 or 58) mic
  • It looks like recording live will not be possible, since I need 3 mics for vox and 2 guitars and that only leaves 1 for drums. So assuming I just want to record the drums and I have the mics listed above, does anyone have any pointer on which mics to use where? I've never mic'ed a drum kit before. I know they have better mics for this purpose, but we have to work within our constraints.

Edit: oh, yea and we're practicing tonight, so I'll give bonus points for quick answers :D

Four mics: Use the Glyn Johns method: http://www.blaxploitation.com/drums/glynJohnsMethod.pdf

Three mics: Use the Recorderman method: http://www.hometracked.com/2007/05/12/recorderman-overhead-drum-mic-technique/

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote