Clear all

Garageband

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Complete beginners question. I had a play with Garageband last night - just plugged my guitar into my powerbook and hit the record button. I played round with the various amp modellers and manged to record something. However, playback wasn't exactly loud, even with the volume turned up to max. Do I need something (a pre-amp??) to boost the signal? I have a Roland microcube - can I use that? i.e. guitar -> microcube -> mac? The somewhat limited user manual suggests that should be possible. I have also just acquired an acoustic (GAS has struck already - how did that happen :?) and would like to record from that too. In addition to a mike, what else will I need? Or again can I go acoustic -> mike -> microcube -> mac. I'm sure all this has been covered umpteen times before, so thanks in advance for your patience and advice. :)

(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

forgot to say - the purpose of these recordings is purely to record progress (or lack thereof).

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The signal from a guitar is not really enough to drive a sound card. Most inputs look for a low impedance signal, whereas a guitar (with passive pickups) delivers a high impedance signal. You have a couple of options, but the cheapest for both microphone and guitar is a Behringer UBxx02 mixer. It has built in amps, that raise the guitar signal and convert it to low impedance. These are the same amps that "treat" the signal, from a microphone - so both options are catered for. Get a UB1002 and upwards and you also get phantom power included (for condenser mics).
Oh, and welcome to the madhouse.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Greybeard - very helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Plot36
You could use the Microcube as a Electric Guitar or Mic pre-amp as you suggest.
It is not the best solution but it might work for simple recordings.
Just connect the REC out/Headphone output jack on Microcube to Line-input jack on the PC/Mac.
You should use a 1/8" jack-1/8" jack stereo cable for this connection plus a 1/4" jack to 1/8" jack converter in REC out jack of the Microcube.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kalle - I'll give it a try tonight.

ReplyQuote
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So playing through the microcube worked - sounds a bit rough (but that's my playing). As it's my first ever recording *and* first ever 12 bar blues I might try and see if I can work out how to put it on the net.

ReplyQuote