Getting serious about recording

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jkeel546)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

I've got several songs I'd like to record. I play electric guitar and keyboards, and a little electric bass. I'm wondering how to create a professional arrangement of my songs, especially without having a drummer. I had a BOSS DR-3 Dr. Rhythm drum machine, but didn't like the clunky interface for programming, and none of the built-in beats sounded good for my kind of music (pop/rock). I'm really struggling with trying to find some way to add drums to my music. Can anyone suggest some good software or a better drum machine? I want something that's as realistic as possible, but not too complex to use for a non-drummer. I don't mind learning some basic drumming techniques if I need to. Any suggestions?

Josh

Check these guys out - Tree63 http://www.tree63.com

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Other than doing it myself, I also use, http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/

Real quality drum loops, real cheap!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

EZDrummer + GrooveMonkee

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jkeel546)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

kingpatzer,

Is EZDrummer really worth the $179? That seems like a lot to pay.

Check these guys out - Tree63 http://www.tree63.com

ReplyQuote
(@padlock)

Hey,
I've got several songs I'd like to record. I play electric guitar and keyboards, and a little electric bass. I'm wondering how to create a professional arrangement of my songs, especially without having a drummer. I had a BOSS DR-3 Dr. Rhythm drum machine, but didn't like the clunky interface for programming, and none of the built-in beats sounded good for my kind of music (pop/rock). I'm really struggling with trying to find some way to add drums to my music. Can anyone suggest some good software or a better drum machine? I want something that's as realistic as possible, but not too complex to use for a non-drummer. I don't mind learning some basic drumming techniques if I need to. Any suggestions?
Josh
I knew not much about drum machine but to add drums to your music, try using FlexiMusic Composer, a multi track music composing program and for recording and editing I use FlexiMusic Wave Editor.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

E-Jay

Oodles of samples in a variety of styles. Software to sequence them together too. I have about 25,000 E-jay samples, from drum loops to bass lines, to the sound of a needle going down on a vinyl LP.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

kingpatzer,

Is EZDrummer really worth the $179? That seems like a lot to pay.

"worth" is a relative term.

If you're doing fun home recording to just post on this site, then it probably isn't worth it.

If you're doing a full blown cd production and you want human sounding drums created wtih exceptional samples, then it's a bargain.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@cruisemates)
Eminent Member

If you want to save money and processing power on your computer, I would consider getting a drum machine. You can program your song into it and just play along and then record it when you are ready. If you get good at midi and start to understand clocking you can synchronize the drum machine with your computer and it will play along - and then you don't have to buy drum software. Drum software (especially the good stuff) can be very expensive and it often takes additional RAM and sometimes even a spare hard-drive.

On the other hand, if you have a midi keyboard you can sync it up to your computer recording program and just record drum parts. I suggest you try recording just a few bars of drums and then practice making loops - saves you a lot of time in the long run. Midi drum sounds are pretty limited unfortunately.

ReplyQuote