Clear all

Handle With Care - Initial Mix

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So, I figured for my next project, I would attempt to cover a song by a band made up of 5 of the greatest singer/songwriter/musicians to ever live...The Travelling Wilburys' "Handle With Care". Imitating the Tom Petty and Bob Dylan vocal parts isn't too difficult, but George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy freakin' Orbison? :shock: What was I thinking?

I'm fairly satisfied with the verses (Harrison's part) and the 2nd bridge (Petty/Dylan), but the 1st bridge (Orbison's part "I'm so tired of being lonely") is just not cutting it. I actually feel like I'm singing well during that part, I just can't get anywhere near Roy's range.

Basically, I've only set levels and run everything through the same reverb buss. There's still some spots I want to fix and I want to EQ everything a little to give some definition. I ended up dropping the ukelele track. There's 4 vocal tracks, 2 acoustic guitars, 3 electric guitars, 1 mandolin, 1 bass and 1 drum track.

Handle With Care

Initial thoughts?

Bass player for Undercover

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

:shock:

Great!

Rhythm guitar and drums sound awesome. Lead guitar, too. I'm not sure of hearing the bass (perhaps, it is my fault, I'm using the laptop's speakers). I guess the song isn't easy to sing. The chorus voices are better and they add a very nice effect!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nuno. The bass is there, but it's not very prominent. When I do a new mix, it will be a little more present. I've listened to the song too many times today, so will have to mix it later. The chorus part ("everybody's got somebody") is the easiest part to sing. I'm thinking about going in and doubling the rest of the vocals (actually re-singing them, not just copy and paste) and seeing if that will help a little.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Not that I havent talked to my self a time or two... but sing with yourself??? :D :D :D

It sounds real good, you pull off all the other parts real well. But ya... Roy Orbison had a voice TOTLY diferent then the other guys in that band!!! Its going to be hard to pull that one off.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Not that I havent talked to my self a time or two... but sing with yourself??? :D :D :D

It sounds real good, you pull off all the other parts real well. But ya... Roy Orbison had a voice TOTLY diferent then the other guys in that band!!! Its going to be hard to pull that one off.

No one else wants to sing with me :D

Seriously though, 3 months ago, there's no way I would have been able to harmonize with myself. Working on harmonies with my band has totally changed my ear on that.

ReplyQuote