Clear all

Harmonic Converger - Good Buy or Not?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was on the Boss site doing some reseach and browsing and came across a pedal that one of their users hand makes and sells. It seems that he sells this for Boss and Line 6 units. The pedals go for over $200, and vary depending on the setup. Here's the site. http://harmonicconverger.com/HC_Home.html

Now, I've done some research beyond the Boss GT forums to see if this thing is legit or not, and have read everything from being the best thing since the invention of the zipper to being called "snake oil".

The unit supposedly gets rid of unwanted noise, or, enhances clarity. whichever way you want to say. Does anyone here use one of these or a similar product, and care to comment?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I was on the Boss site doing some reseach and browsing and came across a pedal that one of their users hand makes and sells. It seems that he sells this for Boss and Line 6 units. The pedals go for over $200, and vary depending on the setup. Here's the site. http://harmonicconverger.com/HC_Home.html

Now, I've done some research beyond the Boss GT forums to see if this thing is legit or not, and have read everything from being the best thing since the invention of the zipper to being called "snake oil".

The unit supposedly gets rid of unwanted noise, or, enhances clarity. whichever way you want to say. Does anyone here use one of these or a similar product, and care to comment?

Just reading through the product description conjures up images of the view off of the south end of a northbound horse with diarrhea. Miles of piles of . . .

I'd say $200 is $199.98 overpriced.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Good alternative: Sonic Stomp, about $60 used.
Better alternative: used Sonic Stomp + parametric EQ - your Boss should have one built in. With the EQ you can notch out the 'fizz' frequency (around 5khz.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering about a Sonic Stomp. Mainly because he touted the benefits of his over it.

I do have a parametric EQ as one of my options. I'll fiddle with that this afternoon. Thanks!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

'slej, I fiddled with the parametric EQ thing. It didn't get all, but it got a goot deal. I found the trick was to only take enough to get rid of noise without killing the wanted tone. It didn't take much to get to the tone killing point, but it did get rid of enough noise to be worth it. I bet the inclusion of the Sonic Stomp should do the trick. Thanks for the tips.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Update. I got the Sonic Stomp last week and just set it up tonight. I have it in the effects loop of my GT-10. It's one of those subtle pedals. Hard to tell at first if it's working, working well or not working at all. It didn't take too long to settle into a spot where I thought it did some good. It's clarified some distorted tones a bit.

I've tried running the in/out before and after my OD emulators. So far just two. a Blues Driver and a Fuzz. I get more of a difference with it after the OD. It still does do a good job before it and should do well with any of my patches that I'm using the "built in" gain as the drive. Still much playing & testing to be done.

I did the basic settings for distortion that it showed in the manual. The left knob at 6 (1:00 o'clock) and the right at 4 (11:00 o'clock). Good enough for now. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on placement and various settings you've chosen and favor.

Roy

ReplyQuote