Clear all

Heaphones

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Any recommendations on a good set of studio headphones? Brand, place to buy, etc…?

I will be monitoring through both my computer for recording purposes, and... through my guitar for marriage preservation purposes.

Let me know if you have any insight.

(@alangreen)

Sennheiser do a superb range of wireless headphones with a range of some 300m. They should be available at most good audio retailers, although I got mine when I was living in Germany.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sennheiser are great.  You can get a good set of Sony Digital reference heaphones if you want to go a little easy on the pocketbook.

I look more at features.  I want an inline volume control.  I'm also partial to closed rather than open.

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

I like Sennheiser, I've never had any problems with any of their stuff. But I don't trust anything if it doesn't have a lead, hence I don't buy wireless. They are more expensive and more troublesome- wireless have a box which plugs into your headphone socket aside from the headphones whereas corded headphones just plug in and work, no frequencies, no adaptors, no trouble.

Just my opinion though, the best judge is your ears. Go to the best hi-fi store you can find, they should have a good selection, and try them all. Buy the ones that sound the best and are comfortable. Simple as that.

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Back in the summer of '93 (how fast a decade goes) I bought myself a $100 set of Sony headphones as a present to myself for breaking up with a girlfriend.  They were fantastic for late-night music for sure (my neighbors I bet appreciated me using them).  Yet I went out to my brother's house this weekend with my guitar, processor, and headphones (I use them when I can't plug into an amp).  We re-shingled his roof and I did not touch the guitar or equipment all weekend.  I get home Sunday night an am unpacking my gear and  :'( my faithful headphones were broken.  Didn't have the heart to try them out after seeing them twisted around.  His kids must have been rough housing around the gig bag I had all that stuff in.

But this presents an opportunity to update to new advanced headphones!  Granted, I don't really want to dump another hundred or more into another set but this is a good time.  Nick, you say Sony is decent (which model?).  Alan, Sennheiser cordless is your pick.  What model and how much (do you guess) in the US?

Any time I did play guitar with my headphones on I hated that dang cord hanging down by the guitar neck.  Every time I wanted a break I'd have to put the headphones 'n cord under my guitar strap and put them on the table.  If they can make comparable quality in a cordless headphone I'm there!  Pete, you say you don't like the hassles of the cordless?  I'd be willing to spend a minute to set the transmitter up and all just so I would not have a cord frustrating me a few times later.  Hopefully you guys can get back to me so I can go out to Best buy and other stores to see if they have your model.  Or I'll look online.  Thanks!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I usually bring the phone cord up my back and have the lead to the phones at the back of my head. Problem solved.

Personally, I like Sennheiser - top quality sound and fit.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I looked up SENNHEISER RS-65 ($142) and Sony MDR-RF975RK ($133).  Both are cordless and have a signal to noise ration of 70 or so.  Do you know if that is the same, worse, or better than corded?  See, there is a radio transmitter that transmits signal via radio wave which I think might mess up the digital sounds.  Like playing a CD (digital), decoding it to analog radio frequency.  Seems it would degrade quality.  Any headphone gurus out there?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There is a website out there called "cans" something or other.

I looked it up.

http://www.goodcans.com

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Great site Nick.  Looks like they really Dig the Grado SR80 and SR125.  Learning new stuff every day!

ReplyQuote
(@nycxdanny)

I personally have a few nice set of headphone which includes, 2 Sony, AKG, Audio Technica.

Checkout this site where I usally go to get my gears.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/search.asp

Pick out a few models you're interest in knowing more info about and look for some reviews. I know that Dr. Dre uses some not so expensive Sony Headphones. They've also got some headphones that costs over 1000.00 dollars.

And when your castles of sand melt in the sea
Mountains will move with your faith. Steve Vai"

ReplyQuote