Clear all

Home recording line level help

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone - have a question for someone who knows about recording to a pc. I use reaper with vst plug ins (such as amplitube), and my problem is that when I go directly from my guitar to the line in on my pc, i cant seem to get a high enough input level so that the sound doesn't cut out on sustained notes. I tried boosting the line in level in Vista, but then when i have distortion I get terrible squealing and completely out of control sounds when i so much as touch the strings. I can see in the input level in amplitube that it never goes very high (unless i boost the line level all the way up, in which case i get that terrible sound with distortion).

I was wondering if getting a usb audio interface would fix this, or if there is something else I am overlooking. Hopefully i explained the sound cutting out problem clear enough. I can make a little recording if it isn't clear enough. Thanks for any suggestions!

-jon

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The problem is that a guitar signal is not a line level signal. You'll need some type of interface to correct the mismatch in both level and impedance.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply Moonrider. Would something like one of these work: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Guitar-Link-UCG102-USB-Interface-241228-i1175566.gc ? There are lots of variations in prices - not sure what the differences are. Then I also saw things such as the Lexicon Alpha type units - more expensive again, but would i need something like that instead? Thanks,

-jon

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks for the reply Moonrider. Would something like one of these work: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Guitar-Link-UCG102-USB-Interface-241228-i1175566.gc ? There are lots of variations in prices - not sure what the differences are. Then I also saw things such as the Lexicon Alpha type units - more expensive again, but would i need something like that instead? Thanks,

-jon
That Behringer unit would get the job done just for guitar. If you sing, or want to add a singer, you'll likely want something that will allow you to record a vocal also, which means going with a more versatile, and expensive interface.

Give some thought to what you might be wanting to record a year from now, and buy accordingly. Sometimes spending more now saves you money later, especially when you're dealing with something like recording that has a high addictive potential ;)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For a more expensive unit for recording, you were referring more to something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Desktop-Recording-Studio-103840849-i1126259.gc ? I really can't see myself singing, but i do understand what your saying.

Also, wouldn't the behringer work if you plugged a mic into the guitar in (would just have to do 1 track at a time)? Or is it specifically designed just for a guitar? Thanks again!

-jon

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

For a more expensive unit for recording, you were referring more to something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Desktop-Recording-Studio-103840849-i1126259.gc ? I really can't see myself singing, but i do understand what your saying.

Also, wouldn't the behringer work if you plugged a mic into the guitar in (would just have to do 1 track at a time)? Or is it specifically designed just for a guitar? Thanks again!

-jon

I've got a Lexicon Omega I use with my laptop quite a bit. It's been pretty reliable in the couple of years I've had it.

One again, a mike level signal is at a different level and impedance than both guitar and line level signals. :) You'd need a mike input or a DI box . . .

Plus ya never know when you want to record a hot blonde singing with you ;)

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Plus ya never know when you want to record a hot blonde singing with you ;)

Well, now you've thrown a whole new level of thought into this. Thanks again!

-jon

ReplyQuote