Home Recording phantom power question.

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cbones)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Question. IF my 8 track fostex supplies phantom power and I want to introduce a compresser(without phantom power) into the line before its recorded, do I need to get a preamp with phantom power to put before the compresser?

Tube preamp (supplying phantom power to mics), to compressor, to recorder.

If I supply phantom power from the recorder thru the compresser I'm thinking I'll blow out the electronics, however, I cant confirm this.

In any case, before I order the dbx 266xl compressor I need to know if I also have to order a preamp with phantom power.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The device that the mic is connected directly to should be the (only) one supplying the phantom power.

Basically, phantom power is a DC voltage ( 48 volts) applied between pins 1(ground) and 2&3 (+48v) on the XLR mic connector.
Since pins 2&3 carry the audio signal, and they both have the same voltage on them, any audio device that has a transformer output should not be harmed by being connected to a phantom power providing input.

If you don't know what's inside a device, it's best not to connect it to a phantom source.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I don't know if your Fostex will have this feature or not, but I know that a lot of high-end mixers that do phantom power also have some sort of in-line loop (also called an auxiliary return) for each channel so that you could go out of the channel into the compressor and then back into the channel again. I think that's almost exactly the reason that a lot of mixers have the in-line loop, for problems just like yours. But then again, if the Fostex doesn't have then, then I'm just rambling. Either way, best of luck with that!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hi all,
I want to introduce a compresser . . . into the line before its recorded

Why?

In most cases this isn't a very good thing to do.

In some cases it can be helpful as a last resort

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There are certain situations where I'd prefer to have a limiter on a vocal mic and have that recorded rather than intruduce it at mixdown. I record to tape though and tracks are limited, as are the the loops on my mixer, so I'd rather save the loops for other effects at mixdown.

I'm working with Audition now so maybe I won't have to worry about it soon.

As far as phantom power, from what I understand, at least on mixers, you can have several xlr mic inputs, turn on the phantom power, and only the mics that are wired for, and need, phantom power, will utilize it. The others won't be affected by it because they don't 'see' the phantom power.

Like moonrider said though, last resort, or very special circumstances.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote