I didn't know how good it could be

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been using Audacity since I started coming to these forums. It's been my tool of choice over all other freebies and a couple software packages that I paid money for. BUT, I've never known how well it worked up until now.

I'd been using a Sony 3.2 system with Media Center OS...so you'd think I had a nice system. I don't know if anyone remembers (besides the dog :wink: ) just how much frustration I had and finally got it to work acceptably. My biggest problem was that when I would record to a click track the minute I would stop recording, the track I recorded would visually shift to the left a couple of sound lines or maybe an actual hair or two in thickness. This would shift the timing of everything that lasts over 30 seconds and throw it out of sync in a hurry. To compensate I would (and it's been so long now that I can't remember the actual steps) but I would drag and shift the ending back to match with the end of the click track and it would be close enough that if I muted the click track you really couldn't tell it was still a tad off.

If you've listened to any of the recordings I've done with multi tracking, you'll notice some out of sync moments. I did the best I could.

Ok on with the story. A couple of weeks ago I replaced that tower with a higher end gaming system. In bringing it back to what I use it for I decided to go with tried and true Audacity. I'm working on my first new song since Spring and this is my first opportunity with guitar in hand and recording on to this newer computer.

I gotta say that the sync timing problem isn't there. I'm so shocked that I can now record a segment, record something along with it and they stay in sync all the way through. No more manipulation of the timing. This is like a luxury bonus for me. I can't believe how much less frustration that just is, because of that problem. Boy am I going to be a recording monster for a while. :twisted:

In the infamous words of Jim Carey in "The Mask"...... SOMEBODY STOP MEEEEEE!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I remember the immense aggrivation when I was having the same problem. Great you solved it!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Bish
What is the major differences between your two generation of PC´s recarding type of soundcard, amont of RAM, CPU speed ?

I am using a PC with XP Home, CPU speed 1800 MHz, 512 MB RAM and a Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (lowcost) soundcard with no delay or latency problems.
But I am not using Audacity (as it gives me track delay and latency problems), but instead either the free SW KAE (Kristal Audio Engine) or REAPER v.999 together with the ASIO4ALL driver.
And I am thinking that it is infact the use of an ASIO2 driver instead of Windows MME or WDM drivers that is solving all delay or latency problems.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great news Bish! :D I can't wait to hear all the songs you will record. 8) I'm also interested in the specs of your new pc, as I'm going to be buying a new one shortly too.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sorry guys, forgot about this post.

My current computer is an AMD 4400 dual core processor with 2.5 GB RAM. An Audigy 2 ZS sound card and I admit I know nothing about its status in comparison to other cards.

I'm also using 2 SATA 160 GB drives which are pretty fast.

And using Audacity I now have no delays. When using Kristal, I can't even get a signal to produce so I gave up trying that one. I also have Cake Walk and another app but Audacity does what I need it to do.

Thanks for the questions.

Dan, if you have any questions about purchasing a new PC, feel free to ask me.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's probably the RAM and processor as the SATA aren't really all that fast. Well...generally speaking.

I have a 3.2 ghz system with 1 GB of RAM using Acid Pro 5 with no problemas. My older system that was 2 ghz had a playback problem when you had loaded 30 or so individual tracks and applied individual effects to each.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

when you had loaded 30 or so individual tracks and applied individual effects to each.

You can do that? :shock:

My Sony was a 3.2 with 1.5 GB ram and it stuttered something fierce. I'm thinking it had to be a crappy sound card. Even my tab software would have quirky playback effects as my less than equal laptop would have no problems.

Either way, my problem is no longer a problem.

Thanks for the input!!!

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@terry1)

Ok right off the bat you mentioned you were using media center as your os. I bet the minn. you changed os that solved your problems. Ive see it posted all over other web sites that it is the worse os to use for music. Dont even ask me why they keep saying it is the no. 1 os to stay away from.

ReplyQuote