Clear all

Importing a Windows Media Player file into Audacity Q

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I want to import a song from Windows Media Player into Audacity to play along with and record my part. (It's a song from a lesson book and CD)

Audacity doesn't recognize the .wma (Windows Media Audio) file, and suggests I try importing it as Raw Data. But doing that only creates a hideous static sounding file, no music.

I'm sure there is a way to convert the .wma file into an mp3 to pull into Audacity, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Or maybe I need to re-rip the song from the CD, changing the format it is saved as?

Any tips?

Thx!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Think I've figured it out. 8)

Just in case anyone else has this same question in the future, (or more likely, in case I can't remember next time and need to refer back), here's what to do:

Open Windows Media Player, click Rip, click Tools, click Options, click the Rip Music tab; under Format, click the drop down arrow and change the format to mp3, click Apply and click OK.

Rip the desired songs.

Then repeat the above steps and change the format back to Windows Media Audio.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Who said you could start answering your own questions?

That's not in the rule book I have. Yep, right here (chapter 2 page 8 line 54) it says, "sit at your desk hopelessly wondering if someone will answer your question and how long it will take for them to so. Do not get up to get a drink, do not go to the bathroom and most importantly, don't blink!".

Hey, I don't write the rules.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it figured out Margaret! 8)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Who said you could start answering your own questions?

That's not in the rule book I have. Yep, right here (chapter 2 page 8 line 54) it says, "sit at your desk hopelessly wondering if someone will answer your question and how long it will take for them to so. Do not get up to get a drink, do not go to the bathroom and most importantly, don't blink!".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it figured out Margaret! 8)

MANLAW!!

Good info Margaret.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mike wrote: Who said you could start answering your own questions?

Glad you got it figured out Margaret!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks!

It was driving me crazy and I knew the answer had to be in there somewhere. And it was, but obscure enough that it took me last night and tonight to figure it out.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks!

It was driving me crazy and I knew the answer had to be in there somewhere. And it was, but obscure enough that it took me last night and tonight to figure it out.

Margaret

Isn't it great? I love that feature of Audacity.

I don't even fiddle with the menus. I get my MP3 on the desktop then drag N Drop it right in. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@keepplayinggnf)

I tried margaret's suggestion (circa 2006), but I just get a little circle with a diagonal line thru it when I try to drag my music from Window's Media Player to Audacity -is it because I have windows XP?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Audacity doesn't support drag and drop between application windows. Rip your CD track as a WAV or mp3 file and drag it into Audacity from a Windows Explorer window or import it using File->Import

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@napoleon)

Audacity doesn't allow to do that, so I think VLC is your choice and attach the guide: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/convert-cda-to-mp3.html good luck

ReplyQuote