Clear all

Instrumental rockmetal mixing

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey. So I've been writing for many years now and I've always recorded my songs, but I've never actually learned to mix, so I've never really produced what might pass for a high quality demo, merely a record or "sketch" of what I've written.
Now that I've got some software that's up to the task (Reaper as my DAW, Amplitube for guitar, Cakewalk Bass and Addictive Drums) I've started looking at mixing.

But I've run up against a few problems...

Despite the large volume of material on the subject online, I've actually found the web to be a fairly poor resource. You see a massive, seemingly comprehensive guide to mixing on one site, then you look elsewhere and find it actually left out some crucially important techniques, because it assumed you knew certain things, and so on, for every site you go to.

The other problem is that most of these guides are focused on chart music such as pop and hip-hop. I did find a resource talking about getting a good modern high-gain rhythm guitar track, by using the Haas effect, but that's as far as it went.

So does anyone know if there's a comprehensive beginners guide to mixing (and maybe mastering) that's good for people who write music in the vein of Satriani and Buckethead, on the heavier, more metal side of intrumental rock? What I've found by far the hardest thing to get right is the EQ and making the tracks compliment each other with it. I would happily pay for a book if it was that comprehsive and that focused on my genre and with a good section on EQ. Though bear in mind I live in the UK...

Thanks.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars Thread

Slipperman is Tim Gilles, the Owner/Operator/Engineer of Big Blue Meenie Recording Studios.

He specializes in "brewtal" guitar. This is one of the best, and most hilarious, guides to getting heavy guitar sounds I've found out there.

This link is rated PG-13 for language.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

I have no plans to ever do this, but that link is worth reading for entertainment alone. One of the few clean passages:
You may ALSO be hearing some nasty, vibrating, rattling, farting, buzzing noises emanating from the enclosure that bugs, or (more commonly - and much more horrifyingly) doesn't bug the brain surgeon wielding that cleverly disguised canoe paddle.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, thanks for the link. It's a bit hard searching for the nuggets of info amoungst the swaths of ranting etc, but it's funny. I'm starting to get the hang of it now anyway. I think experience takes you a long way in mixing. It's a real art as well a science.

ReplyQuote