Keyboard question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

(Yes, I know this is GUITARnoise.com)

I've been thinking about getting a keyboard to add to my home studio (the one in the corner of my living room). I don't play, so I would be learning and just tinkering with the thing for a while. I've start looking and there are about a million choices out there. So if there's anyone with a little knowledge in this area, could you point me in the right direction?

I just want to start with a keyboard (don't need a true synth), full size (76 keys I think?)
I don't really care about MIDI, but maybe I should.
I'd like it to have a decent sized library of sounds (specifically piano and drums).
I would like it to have the pitch-bend control.
I want it to have that display that shows the notes you are playing.

Budget-wise, I don't really want to spend more than $200, maybe $250.

Thanks!

Bass player for Undercover

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

You need a midi controller. Yes midi. You need something to make the noise. If not a synth, then some sort of soft synth. In order to control the synth you need a midi keyboard. There are tons of controllers out there. Check out M-Audio's Keystation 49. You should be able to pick one up for around $150. Korg K-25 $100. Check out Edirol's site. Most have USB connectivity.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you get a keybord you don't need MIDI as it comes with the sounds. You connect it using the line-out. On the other hand, all $200 keybords have MIDI anyway, and it IS darn handy to have. If it's to learn to play I think a keybord is MUCH better then a MIDI controller as you initially just want to start it up and play without having to load VSTs in sequencers and such. Check out the Yamaha keybords in your pricerange. Make sure you've got atleast 32-note polyphony and touch sensitivity.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yea, I didn't want just a MIDI controller because I just want to be able to turn it on and play. I ended up buying a Yamaha E-303. It doesn't have the pitch bend, but that's alright. Like I said, it's just something to mess around with and learn on. I am happy with learning progress so far, it has been much easier to pick up than guitar, simply because of the limited amount of theory I know from guitar.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Good choice, have fun. Don't forget that pitch-bend is just a MIDI command so you can always take care of that later.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Hey, I recently got a keyboard, how do I hook it up as a MIDI device? Do I need to buy a sound card?

Thanks.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ehm. if you want some kind of sound out of your pc you'll need a soundcard. If you can hear stuff already it means you've got one somewhere. Just hook the MIDI-OUT of the keybord to the MIDI-IN (probably either USB or MIDI-Gameport, where you would otherwise put a joystick or something) and you're done. Most electronics stores sell MIDI->USB devices for not too much.

ReplyQuote