Notifications
Clear all

Line 6 UX1 or M-Audio Blackbox?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@turbo411)
Topic starter  

I'm looking to do some very basic recording. I think the choice is between the UX1 and the black box but I am certainly open to some suggestions for PC recording in the $200 range. It appears that both devices come with ableton lite. I'd like to do the following things, please tell me if either device can do it and what the best choice would be

-Import a song off a CD and play it back for me to hear while I record guitar tracks over it
-Record a guitar track and then layer it with additional guitar/vocal tracks

Thanks!

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I have the UX2. You can certainly layer multiple tracks with it. Ableton Lite is limited to either 4 tracks in its conventional track view, or 4 sessions each with 4 clips in its session view. (Also, with Abelton Lite, the midi capabilities are a little limited. If you want to play midi, you can only do it using a VST instrument or a built-in instrument. You cannot send it to the windows midi synthesizer, for example).

As for importing CDs: it can certainly import a wave file, and you can then play with it. You can also play the CD through a CD player or MP3 player and have it come in through the "aux" input. The one thing I have not been able to do is play some other program (like the built-in windows media player) and record the output. I can do it with my soundblaster card, but somehow I have not been able to figure out the settings to make tha work with UX2.

Know nothing about the blackbox. The Line 6 software comes with lots of amp and cab models, which may or maynot appeal to you. It's a nice "all in one box" recording solution.

(I hope the above explanation was not too "dense". Ask if you want clarifications..)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote