Skip to content
May start recording...

Notifications
Clear all

May start recording soon. Just want a few tips.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so lately I've been thinking about putting some of my playing into audio that I can play back and listen to.

Most of my questions are about the room I will be using to record in.
It's a 12 by 14 foot room with carpet (I know the type of carpet may also have an effect, but to me, it's just normal carpet. It's not anything fancy.) and thin paneling on the walls.
This room has a full size bed, a small computer desk, particularly small chest, since I don't have a large wardrobe or care to have one, and among other things, beer bottles and other odds and ends things that don't exactly take up much space. (Note I don't always have beer bottles stacked up, but they do make for nice wind instruments given the right ammount of liquid in each one.)

How will all of this effect my recording?
Will I still be able to produce a decent sound given the said dimensions and such?
If so, is there any certain way I can position all of this in my room that would improve the quality of my recordings?
I know that the room you use does have a big effect on the way your recording will sound, but beyond that I don't know much.

What type of mic should I use to record with?
How should I position my amp, along with my mic to get the best quality possible with such a poor room for recording?
This is the amp that I use, if it helps anything at all.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-FXT120-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-DSP?sku=487787
But depending on replies and suggestions, I may end up buying a new amp as well.
I want something that has the capabilities of producing a variety of sounds and tones, though this amp seems to be doing alright.
I'm a sort of jack of all trades when it comes to playing, so I cannot limit myself to just one style of guitar.

I don't have much in the way of gear right now, but soon I will be getting myself a Schecter C-1 Classic, and I've been looking at stratocasters. I'm looking for either a mint green or vintage white, but there are so many that I simply don't know what I want. I'm willing to take suggestions on this. I want to be able to use the tremelo and not knock my strings completely out of tune every time I go for a deep dive.

I will also be getting a noise supressor to cut down on humming amongst other things and active pickups for both guitars.
I was looking at this, but I'm not sure.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-NS2-Noise-Suppressor-Pedal?sku=151331
Suggestions on this as well please?

Upon closing I'd like to thank each and every one of you in advance for your tips and advice.
Cheers!

~Jim~

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Will I still be able to produce a decent sound given the said dimensions and such?
Yes, even though your situation is far from ideal...Learn to work with what you have and you can get great results
If so, is there any certain way I can position all of this in my room that would improve the quality of my recordings?
Trial and error. Try different mic placements in all different parts of the room. Change where the mic is and where you are in relation to walls/corners/furniture etc.
I know that the room you use does have a big effect on the way your recording will sound, but beyond that I don't know much.
This can get very in depth... far too much to try and begin to explain here.
TIP: egg cartons on the walls are a waste of time :wink:

some very informative websites..
http://www.johnlsayers.com
http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/index.php

Acoustically treat your room however you can (within your budget) although It's very easy to go overboard for the novice musician/engineer. Keep focussed on the music and not the space you are recording in and you shouldn't get too frustrated.
What type of mic should I use to record with?
Generally, a dynamic mic is used for micing amps and a condenser mic(needs phantom power) is used for acoustic instruments/voices. There are plenty of exceptions to this rule however, this will get you started.
How should I position my amp, along with my mic to get the best quality possible with such a poor room for recording?
Trial and error. Listen to how your amp sounds going through the mic/headphones. Then play around with mic placement/location. Try and listen in a different room than your amp is in, so you can only hear what's coming through the headphones ie. what's being recorded. (not the direct sound of the amp)... longer cables are needed for this, obviously. Otherwise, record a few snippets from different locations within the room.

The links i provided will help you out to begin with.
This is the amp that I use, if it helps anything at all.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-FXT120-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-DSP?sku=487787
But depending on replies and suggestions, I may end up buying a new amp as well.
I want something that has the capabilities of producing a variety of sounds and tones, though this amp seems to be doing alright.
I'm a sort of jack of all trades when it comes to playing, so I cannot limit myself to just one style of guitar.
An amp modeller is a good (and cheap) way to get a huge variety of sounds... try: Line 6 PODXT, Behringer V-Amp2, VOX Tonelab etc.
Amp modellers negate the need to mic an amp, and because you record directly, the acoustics of the room make no difference.

I'll leave the suggestions of the guitars to someone who's played a few more than i have :wink:

Good Luck

Josh

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the tips, as well as the links.
I'm going to check them out now and search around.
I have plenty of cables and if they aren't long enough I can definately get more.

This room isn't actually attached to any other rooms. It's more or less just a one room shed. But it's very roomy, so odds are I'll have to step outside and play. *chuckles*

I'm gonna try out those Bose Noise Reduction headphones as well soon enough.
As far as amp modelers go. Do I just plug them into whatever I'm recording into, or do I run them through the amp and then into what I'm recording into?

I guess I'm going to experiment around once I get a mic, and I'll be sure to let you know what my results are.

Thanks again for your advice.

~Jim~

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote